+ Reply to Thread

Default Quick Q, before I cut out my ceiling.

A small leak has sprung in the living room ceiling under the bathroom a few minutes after the toilet was flushed this afternoon. So I decided that I would run water in the tub and sink and see what happens. And what do you know, the same thing happened only the leak was farther into the living room.

I'm assuming this leak is traveling down the waste pipe. I have no water level issues in the toilet, no gurgling, no water sitting at the base of the toilet. I was so hoping this was a simple case of replacing the wax ring, but I think I'm going to have to cut out part of my ceiling and investigate. Grumble, grumble.

Any thoughts/comments/sympathy would be appreciated.

Default Re: Quick Q, before I cut out my ceiling.

Make sure your toilet is seated firmly on the floor. You shouldn't be able to feel it move when you shift your weight on the seat. That happens, I think because the floor is not rigid enough. Anyway, if the seat can be rocked back and forth, even if just slightly, it will break the seal the wax-ring made, and water can leak out to the sub-floor.

You should be able to check how firm your toilet can anchor to the metal or plastic rim of the toilet drain (the part where you slide in the bolts to hold the toilet down).

Quote Originally Posted by dpny View Post
    Make sure your toilet is seated firmly on the floor. You shouldn't be able to feel it move when you shift your weight on the seat. That happens, I think because the floor is not rigid enough. Anyway, if the seat can be rocked back and forth, even if just slightly, it will break the seal the wax-ring made, and water can leak out to the sub-floor.

You should be able to check how firm your toilet can anchor to the metal or plastic rim of the toilet drain (the part where you slide in the bolts to hold the toilet down).
    What you said has merit --- but --- the OP also mentioned seeing signs of leaking when running water down the sink and tub which means another issue than your recommendation.

In this case it sounds as though if stains from leaking are showing on the ceiling ---then opening the ceiling would be in order to locate the leak from above --- besides the dryall should be replaced since it's wet and the space should be dried to prevent mould issues.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I have a leak in my upstairs bathroom- after a burst pipe.
    They replaced one solder but they said there were still leaks when they turned on the water briefly again.

They are telling me I need to replace the upstairs plumbing.
    Replacing copper with PEK.
    The previous owner told me he had the upstairs bathrooms replumbed when they bought the house.

The plumbers are telling me I need to cut out my ceiling.
    Then they are telling me they will replace upstairs plumbing by running parallel lines through floor beams that run across the floor.
    What can Ido to have someone check to see where the leak actually is before they cut out the ceiling?
    How much is replacement of ceiling dry wall and texturizing going to cost? trough down dining room side, and trouble across living room side.

Quote Originally Posted by JudithB View Post
    The plumbers are telling me I need to cut out my ceiling.
    Then they are telling me they will replace upstairs plumbing by running parallel lines through floor beams that run across the floor.
    What can Ido to have someone check to see where the leak actually is before they cut out the ceiling?
    How much is replacement of ceiling dry wall and texturizing going to cost? trough down dining room side, and trouble across living room side.
    First, what caused the pipe to burst in the first place? Will replacement prevent future problems or will the pipe need insulation or other protections?

To replace the pipe, access will have to be gained to the problem pipe. How much demolition of walls and ceilings will depend on how much pipe is going to be replaced. I personally would only replace the damaged copper with new copper. IMHO, pex is garbage and not worth the time or expense to install it. My suspicion is you have a lazy plumber who wants to make his life easier by running pex rather than doing the job right. Copper is a better product that will last longer with pex without the problems associated with pex.

How much will all this cost? I recommend consulting with whomever is going to be doing the drywall repair. It will likely be cheaper and easier if the drywall repairman does the demolition rather than the plumber who doesn't care how much of a mess they make (i.e., more damage than necessary ).

I'd also recommend consulting with several other plumbers for competitive bids, rather than relying on one who wants to immediately replace good pipe, just because he's lazy. It is likely that you will be able to find a general contractor who can do all the work himself, reducing overall costs and hassles.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!