+ Reply to Thread

Default What To Do? Painted over Wallpaper Paste/Glue!

I can't find a firm answer on how to remedy this problem correctly.

Previous owners painted over the wallpaper paste/glue. What is the best way to handle this situation. Some say to sand the walls, some say to skim coat, some say to do both. Is there anything, like trying to steam through the paint down to the glue and sc**** it off to get a smooth wall? Would like not only the easiest, but least costly and least messy possibility.

Thanks!!!

Default Re: What To Do? Painted over Wallpaper Paste/Glue!

Skim coating will be the easiest, especially if the glue/paste is only in spots. Use drywall topping compound.

Trying to remove the paint will result in a real mess that will likely end up having to be skimmed anyway. If you've got textured walls, I've had reasonable success using the Homax texture sprayer on patches up to about 9 - 12 square feet.

You could presumably do a whole wall with one, but I wouldn't want to. For a whole wall I'd either buy a bigger version of the Homax or rent a texture sprayer. Don't waste your money buying texture refills, water down drywall topping compound to about the consistency of pancake batter and spray that. It's much cheaper and easier to use that dry mixed texture.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

No, the walls are suppose to be smooth, no texture. I won't trust myself to do this, not my line of expertise, so I guess I'll get someone to do it. I'll try to find a painter or drywall person.

Thanks!

Lot's of painters can do drywall work, though smooth walls can be a real pain so you may want someone that does it every day that will be more adept at it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!