+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaky toilet?

Default Leaky toilet?

We have a leak in our kitchen ceiling. the upstairs bathroom is directly above the kitchen. It's a few ounces of water that occurs infrequently. We removed the ceiling and it seems as though the leak is coming from the toilet waste pipe. One time we were able to cause the leak by flushing the toilet. However, the leak does not occur every time the toilet is flushed. It seems as though there was some fluid around the base of the toilet. Also, the toilet runs and makes bubbling noises (don't know if those issues are related to the leak or are separate issues). Could the wax seal be the cause of this? Is there another likely cause?

Default Re: Leaky toilet?

I'd start by replacing the wax ring. It should be pretty obvious if this is the leak point or if you'll have to delve in further.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: Leaky toilet?

Thank you for the suggestion. We took the toilet off and noticed a crack in the bowl. We suspect that was the cause of the leak. We just finished installing a new toilet.

Uh, yeah, that could do it too.

Glad you found the problem.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

We've been having a similar problem; I hope someone can offer some advice. We noticed for a long time a wet spot on the grout of the tile at the front of the toilet. Last summer we had a plumber remove the toilet and install a double wax ring. This summer it leaked through on the ceiling below. We did not open up the ceiling, but we had a new toilet installed, the wax ring replaced (the new plumber said the man last summer had installed it incorrectly.) We continued to see the wet spot on the grout, so the new plumber came back and removed the toilet and installed a piece that was glued to the bottom of the toilet and went directly into the drain. After a few days, the wet spot appeared again. What could cause this? I don't think it's from sloppy bathroom usage because there is not moisture on the tile itself, just a spreading wet spot on the grout.

Any ideas? What can we do now?