+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Smelly Hot Water (NOT Sulfur Smell)

Shortly after I bought my house this summer, the top heating element on the electric water heater tank needed replacing. Now, a few months after I replaced the element, the hot water has an unpleasent smell to it. It's not the typical sulfur smell, but it isn't a pleasant odor to be sure.

Most web sites seem to recommend draining the tank and then using hydrogen peroxide to kill any bacteria in the tank. Is this a good solution? I'm not sure how I'd get the peroxide into the tank... I guess I'll have to remove the top heating element again(?)

I don't know if it matters, but we have softened well water.
    Sincerely,
    Todd

Default Re: Smelly Hot Water (NOT Sulfur Smell)

anode rod port will gain entry. but I'd get my water tested now, especially at the well head.

good web site for you: http://www.waterheaterrescue.com

they have a good forum devoted just to water heater issues also.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by, "anode rod port will gain entry."? Are you suggesting that this is where the bacteria might enter the tank? I'm not sure where the anode is... is that different than the heating elements?

We had our well water tested in June before we bought the house... I sure hope there isn't a new groundwater contamination problem
    Sincerely,
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by, "anode rod port will gain entry."? Are you suggesting that this is where the bacteria might enter the tank? I'm not sure where the anode is... is that different than the heating elements?

We had our well water tested in June before we bought the house... I sure hope there isn't a new groundwater contamination problem
    Yes the anode rod is different than the heating elements.

Check out the website I referred to and learn about the parts of a water heater as well as the procedure for disinfecting your tank - but if you have a contamination situation you'd also need to disinfect your entire potable plumbing system..

You can remove the anode rod from the top of the tank so you can have an entry port to add your disinfectant solution after you drain your water heater.

It is not uncommon for unscrupulous SELLERS to SHOCK the well with bleach when they have a buyer under contract about to make an inspection to hide a contamination/bacteria problem.

Step one should be to have your well head water, a sample of water from the drain of the water heater tank, and from several taps TESTED NOW (first). Its something you should be doing every year anyway, but do it now before you disguise what the real problem may be.

Next, clean the water softener and not just the brine pot.

Thumbs up Re: Smelly Hot Water (NOT Sulfur Smell)

Well, the smell started getting worse, so I finally called a local water pro to come to the house to determine what the issue is. I guess I'm glad I called, because the problem was a simple one... if you know what you're doing.

My house has an iron filter (Hellenbrand Iron Curtain) which is supposed to go on every once in a while. However, either the previous home owner disabled the system or it was never setup right. On the top of one of the tanks, there is a cover that hides a wheel with a bunch of pins on it. The pins turn the system on and off. All the pins were pushed in, so the iron filter never ran!

Granted, it's kind of a bummer that I had to pay someone almost $100 to tell me that my iron filter wasn't turning on, but at least I now know the cause of my stinky water I was about ready to shock my well (even though it's freezing cold out) because I thought that would fix my problem... I'm glad I held-off on that
    Sincerely,
    Todd