+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overgrown ivy

Default Overgrown ivy

We are considering buying a house on 3.5 acres. It is heavily wooded and on a lot of the land is very mature ivy. It is extremely heavy and I want to do some shrubs and perennials in those areas. Any ideas other than roundup? I hate to use roundup for such a large area. Is there anyway to put plastic down? I don't mind a little ivy but it is out of control.

Default Re: Overgrown ivy

Don't waste your money on roundup, it won't kill ivy.
    Manually removing it is probably the best way to go. A lot of work.
    You may also want to open up the canopy some to let more light in. I'm guessing the ivy took over because it's so shaded.

As said, best solution is manually cutting and opening the canopy. If the ivy covers a large area, repeated cutting with a lawnmower can be used, starting high and lowering each pass. Cuttings will need to be raked and mulched as ivy will reroot in a damp area. You will need to keep the ivy cut low enough to prevent leafing over one or two growing seasons to squeeze it out.

Thanks so much for all of your answers. We are getting closer to moving and I have been reading your thoughts and also thinking of other things as well. We may attempt to mow the ivy (thanks for the suggestion) in some areas and I have also thought of topiaries with some of the existing ivy in some areas where I had thought of having "sitting areas". It's going to be fun to see where all this goes. I will enjoy keeping up with this site and asking and answering. Thanks all.

I have the same issue, accept my back yard is about 100' x 150' with some trees. I would like to simply cover the Ivy with mulch and start over next year.

I have been told that I will need to remove the ivy by hand however, I am awe struck at the amount of work it would require.

What chemical might you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by bpjenks View Post
    I have the same issue, accept my back yard is about 100' x 150' with some trees. I would like to simply cover the Ivy with mulch and start over next year.

I have been told that I will need to remove the ivy by hand however, I am awe struck at the amount of work it would require.

What chemical might you suggest?
    Pics of my yard:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01396.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	2217  

I've battled poison ivy off and on for years. It only has existed as long as it has because because some years I failed to get a jump on it late winter and early spring. When caught early the large base roots and largest part of the vine seems as though it is dead but don't let it fool you. During the late winter or early spring while it's in this condition it has no leafs and is most visible. Try to find the base roots, which can be 1" or bigger in diameter at the ground level and pull those suckers up. One base root like that can produce enough vines to engulf entire trees and even small sheds by mid-summer. Do this just after a heavy rain and they will come up with ease. I've pulled some up where the root ran under the soil 10 feet and more. Use a shovel to unearth the main root then the rest can usually be pulled by hand with ease like a rope that is buried just below the soil surface. Get it early or you might as well wash your hands of it (pardon the pun) till next winter.
    Do this twice and you won't have much to deal with in the following years.
    Good luck