+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: digital antenna

Default digital antenna

I am trying to find out where I get the digital antenna shown on your recent episode. It looked just lik eth eold kind that attach to the chiminey. I thinki they said it cost about $200. I don't think anyone said where to get one. Is there a website and a store I can order it from

Thanks!

Default Re: digital antenna

www.solidsignal.com

Radio Shack

The old antennas work just as well with digital as the new "digital" antennas. The main difference, if any, will be in the amplifier is one is used.

Many "digital" antennas are UHF only. The original plan was for all TV stations to move to the UHF band. For some reason, at the last minute, the FCC decided to keep one station on Low band VHF (ch 2-6) and one station on High band VHF (ch 7-13). Most of these new digital antennas will lose those two stations.

Almost all indoor antennas are UHF only, including the RCA model that is flat, about a foot square and claims to be VHF/UHF.

An outdoor antenna mounted outdoors on a pole or in your attic is still the best way to go for OTA (over the air). The ones at Lowes and Home Depot are over priced and not too good. The ones at Radio Shack are much better and cost less. The Channel Master available at teh above web site are also very good.

If you want a DYI project, try this, it worked OK for UHF for me
    http://ruckman.net/blog/news.php?item.21.4

I agree with Keith except that in the Phoenix area all the upper VHF stations 8-10-12 moved their HDTV broadcasts from UHF back to their VHF frequencies after the changeover so the best reception is still obtained with a big VHF/UHF antenna mounted up high on the roof. There's no such thing as a digital or HDTV antenna, an antenna is just an antenna so it's all just marketing hype. The little antennas that have amps are just fancy rabbit ears and need the amp because they are too small to begin with. A larger antenna shouldn't need an amp unless you intend to split the signal several times.

Make your own for sure. It is easy and very inexpensive. I made my own and am picking up the 2 stations that are at least moderate signal strength on the dtv.gov reception map. There are quite a few for me that would be weak signal that i am not picking up and am thinking about making my antenna fractal like keith demonstrated with that link. I personally attached mine to a 4' section of pvc pipe and used 12ga copper wire for my antenna. Self tapping screws and the uhf/vhf transformer completed all that i needed (with exception of some ingenuity for attaching it to the roof). Go to youtube and look up dtv antenna and you will find a multitude of how-to videos.

Let me refer you to this:

https://advice.thisoldhouse.com/show...96&postcount=9

And yes, you can make a better antenna than you can buy with the same amount of money- there is no magic in antennas, only people charging you more than they are really worth- sometimes a LOT more!

Cool Re: digital antenna

I missed this episode actually. What is the difference between a digital antenna and satellite TV? I need to decide now before moving into our new home.

"Digital" antenna is for OTH (over the air) which is the only true "free" TV, unless you count listening to annoying ads as a form of payment. It is broadcast from an antenna usually located on top of a tall building or mast. The broadcast range is limited.

Satellite TV is by subscription and picks up a signal that is relayed to earth from a communications satellite orbiting the earth. It's range is all of North America. It will have a lot of channels available, but you pay for them, both in dollars and in listening to annoying commercials.

BTW, neither signal is truly digital. Both rely on a carrier wave that is no different than the old analog carriers of days past. The difference is in the modulation. In the old days, either the amplitude (AM) or the frequency (FM) varied with the applied signal.

OTH would use AM for the picture and FM for the sound. Early satellite TV used FM for both sound and picture. Now they use a type of modulation called phase shift keying. At periodic intervals, they change only the phase of the carrier to represent a certain number of bits. They also make a sudden change in the carriers amplitude or frequency at the same time to represent even more bits.

The demodulator in the TV turns these sudden shifts into a digital bitstream. The sound part goes to the codec to be converted back to an analog signal for listening. In a CRT TV, the picture also goes to the codec for viewing. On a plasma or LCD, the picture usually remains digital all the way.

Please don't respond to old threads dredged up by spammers. In most cases, the original poster is long-gone.

Thank you.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Sorry, I knew it was an old post, but I thought it was a legitimate question from a sincere poster.

Talking Re: digital antenna

Guys can give me an advice where i can buy a cheaper digital antenna?