+ Reply to Thread

Post Refinishing the deck

We need to clean our deck. The deck was put on about 5 years ago and we did not finish it when it was new. I watched the video on the TOH website, it was very helpful and answered most of my questions. Our deck has some really rough places, should we sand these places after we clean with the wood cleaner? What about the underside of the deck, is is important to finish and clean the underside. We have a place to sit under the deck. Do you use the stiff brush on the railings and posts? Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Refinishing the deck

Libarian,

If you sand portions of your deck, they will take stain differently in those areas. It would look more uniform if the whole deck were given at least a light sanding. Why is the deck rough? Too aggressive on the power washing? An overly powerwashed deck will often get a fuzzy texture and require a light sanding.

It is always advantagious to stain the underside of the deck too. This will help keep moisture from working its way into the wood from underneath. It also just looks better. Staining the above deck causes drips to form on the underside amd stain to run down the joists. You need to constaintly wipe the underside, even as the top is being stained, otherwise, the drips and runs become permanently visible.

Thank you for answering my questions. I think the deck is rough because we never put a protective finish on it. There is one place where my husband did try to power wash a few years ago, but he stopped when he saw how it damaged the wood. I guess this job is going to take a long time to complete.

Should we sand before we use the deck cleaner and scrub? Or after we clean and scrub with the stiff bristle broom and before we apply the anti-fungal stuff? Or after we do all that and before we apply the stain?

Librarian,

I would probably get the cleaning out of the way first. Water does raise the grain somewhat and sanding will smooth it back down.

If the deck has not greyed yet, but merely needs cleaning, there are several products that will help with that. I like Jomax, which can be bought at Home Depot. I have used it for years . It is a concentrate that will make a 5 Gallon batch with the additon of 4 gallons of water and 3 quarts of household bleach. It is a mild, but effective detergent and algaecide/fungicide. It is also inexpensive at about $10 for the batch. You do not want to trap live organisms under your finish! Some finishes, especially those containing linseed oil, can actually be a nutrient for fungus!

If the deck has greyed, I like a deck brightener such as Behr's
    2 in 1 cleaner. This is basically oxylic acid. The concentrate makes 5 gallons of brightener. It will get rid of the grey and bring back the original wood tone.

When finished with either of the above treatments, thoroughly flush the deck with water. One is acidic, the other basic. They will neutralize one another if not flushed between treatments.

After letting the deck dry down, give it a light sanding with about 150 grit paper. Heavier paper if some areas are really rough.

I've done too many decks during my contracting career, that is why I chose decorative concrete at my present house

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Thank you for all the advice! I feel a little more comfortable about tackling the deck now. We added the deck to replace a very small porch coming off the kitchen. Our house is on the side of a hill, so when you come out the kitchen door onto the deck, you go down a 2 flights of stairs to get to get to the yard. We have a natural stone and concrete patio that was built about 40 years ago. We need to do some maintenance on that too, have not found the right contractor as of yet.