+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement stairwell headroom

I have a set of concrete stairs that lead to my basement. The problem with these stairs is lack of head room. If possible I would like to lengthen the run of the stairs. My first question is how do you get accurate rise and run measurements so I know if I have enough room to lengthen the run of the stairs.

Default Re: Basement stairwell headroom

Lengthening the run will give you less headroom. The only way to get more headroom is to make the risers higher enough to eliminate a couple treads or modify the stair opening.
    The best(only?)way to determine headroom is by a scale drawing, especially if things are tight.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Lengthening the run will give you less headroom. The only way to get more headroom is to make the risers higher enough to eliminate a couple treads or modify the stair opening.
    The best(only?)way to determine headroom is by a scale drawing, especially if things are tight.
    I will have to measure the risers and see how high the currently are. I don't want to make the stairwell too steep. If changing the risers isn't possible due to this I will check on modify the stair opening, which might be interesting considering there is plumbing it the way currently.

Codes require minimum headroom clearance of 6"8" also have a set range for rise and run for steps. Chances are you wouldn't likely be able to shorten the run without making them too steep.
    And being concrete stairs -- well that'll be a challenge.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Smile Re: Basement stairwell headroom

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Codes require minimum headroom clearance of 6"8" also have a set range for rise and run for steps. Chances are you wouldn't likely be able to shorten the run without making them too steep.
    And being concrete stairs -- well that'll be a challenge.
    I know the concrete stairs will be a challenge, that is why I am doing a lot of thinking and will be doing a lot of planning as well. I'm not even sure it will be possible and that is why I'm asking for advice.

Sorry for overstating the obvious .
    What and where is the headroom problem? Depending --- it might be the obstruction may have to altered.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Sorry for overstating the obvious .
    What and where is the headroom problem? Depending --- it might be the obstruction may have to altered.
    The floor and some plumbing is the obstructions. Around here is common to have basement stairs that the headroom is too close to the floor. I think that is some cases the stairs started as outdoor stairs and that the house was added on to with out thinking about thinking about stairwell headroom. Probably one of the many reasons for modern building code and building permits.