+ Reply to Thread

Default Sticky Garage Door

My roll-up garage door sticks occasionally, only in very cold (below 0 degrees F for several days) weather. It's not freezing to the garage slab; it lifts about 6", sticks, and the garage door closer shuts down.

I had this problem several winters ago and thought I'd cured it by lubricating the rollers with penetrating oil and never-seize on the tracks; the problem recently started up again.

Any suggestions?

P.S. The door is about 10 years old, so it's out of warranty. The installer isn't interested in servicing the door, so that's not an option. I've searched thoroughly to find a protruding fastener, or anything, that a roller might hang up on... I've found nothing obvious.

Default Re: Sticky Garage Door

Disconnect the traveler attaching the door to the opener mechanism (should be a pull cord ). Now operate the door manually to make sure there is no binding and that the counter balance springs are operating properly. If all is well, bump up the lift pressure just a touch. There is usually two screws on the back of the opener motor that controls lift and push force, turn the lift screw to increase the pressure slightly (1/16th to 1/18th turn ), then test the results.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If I'm reading your post right, the problem is that the door will not completely CLOSE and gets tight the last six inches and stops is that right? If this door has an electric opener/closer, then first thoughts are:

Ice snow accumulations on the outside panels might be weighing door down, or something sticking on it (a leaf suspended on a cobweb even) or near a sensor "eye" if an automatic opening system, making the system react as though there is there is something in harms way (like a child's head) in the path of the closing door near the floor? Does the door then reverse and open or just stop at that point? Sometimes even snow, ice on the face of the door can start shedding off the door as it moves and when it falls interupts the "line of sight" of the sensor and this can cause the door to stop and/or reverse to open..

could be that with the extreme cold/wind there is some infiltration that causing the structure (wall on either side of the door racks a bit, rafters that the top of the track rail is hung from lifting, etc.) to move slightly or one of the rails twists a bit or is out of level when very cold, just enough to bind the door in the track when its so cold (does the track rail touch the floor slab?) so the first door panel gets hung up and can't travel, then when it warms up again everything goes back to the "normal" orientation.

Or is this a roller door like for example used in those storage facilities?
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-24-2008 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Next time it's frigid cold (it's warmed up a bit and all's well for now) I'll try disconnecting the door and operating it by hand. I recall doing this in the past, but it's been long enough that I don't recall the results. By the way, the problem occurs when opening the door.

Thanks again for the help!