+ Reply to Thread

Default Naming your house/property?

My husband and I are nearing the close of escrow on a 1905 bungalow in the Highland Park area of Los Angeles, CA.

I know it might seem silly or even pretentious to some, but I have become infatuated with the idea of naming my home. Have any of you done this? Do you display the name of your property somewhere? How long did it take you to figure out the right name, and where did you turn for inspiration?
    ~a house is built with walls and beams, a home is built with love and dreams~

Default Re: Naming your house/property?

This is a great topic.
    From literature: Manderly, Wuthering Heights, hundreds and thousands more.
    From a feature or topography: Cliffside, Seven Oaks, ___'s Meadow, The Bowers, Pine Grove, Sunnycrest, etc.
    Whimsical (usually too cloying) : Garden of Weedin' etc.

My mom came up with the best name, you can interpret it as extremely arrogant or totally deconstructed: "The Place".
    Even though we moved thirty years ago, I still have the sign for The Place. To which she had added the pithy motto "To each Man his own Fig Tree"; I have no idea where she ever came up with it.
    Mull it over for a while, run it past your best confidant before turning it over to the sign-painter.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Guard Dog On Duty has always been a favorite.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Research the property; Go to the county records office, conduct your own title search, and review the supporting documents. Also visit your local historical society (and some information might be available on-line). You might discover that your house has already been named. Equally important, once you decide on a name, revisit the historic society - and research that name. And don't forget to Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc your home's name (and its address); surprises abound. But bear-in-mind, naming your home could attract unwanted attention and pose unforeseen security risk and ... your home could end up on one of those Hollywood movie stars homes tours [humor].
    Hidden Content // Editor-in-chief

Yes, yes, so many good suggestions so far. Think literature, the arts, historical significance... have already been mentioned.

Since I am a sign painter, I have a unique perspective on what others have also done. In your home name, others have included or involved:

-- architect's name or style of the home, ie. colonial, victorian, etc..

-- your family name

-- town name

-- simply include the word "homestead" and it will be in keeping with your goal of creating a home, not a house

-- use a foreign language word... ie.. chateau or villa

-- was the property ever a farm or factory area, and if so, what did they produce? maybe you can include the product name in the home name

All the above I have seen done, if you check my website there is a gallery of house signs showing some of these.

What a wonderful problem you have. Have fun with it. As for me, I went the historic route, but it required hours of research at the county seat, which I enjoyed, but that's me. Good luck.

Smile Re: Naming your house/property?

Quote Originally Posted by HighlandPark1905 View Post
    My husband and I are nearing the close of escrow on a 1905 bungalow in the Highland Park area of Los Angeles, CA.

I know it might seem silly or even pretentious to some, but I have become infatuated with the idea of naming my home. Have any of you done this? Do you display the name of your property somewhere? How long did it take you to figure out the right name, and where did you turn for inspiration?
    Naming a house is really an exciting things specially when we buy a new home. There are thousands of house names available. Interesting article I would like to share is here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...at-counts.html
    For great information about Hidden Content Visit my personal website: Hidden Content

All you really need to do is come up with an adjective+noun combination, where the adjective is two syllables and the noun is one. A few examples: "Briarcliff" or "Wendingwood" or "Rancidknob."
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.