+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basement window

Hybrid View

Default Basement window

I'm replacing my old basement windows and after looking around i came across "DUO-CORP" basement windows, i can't find any reviews on this company that claims to be around since 1977.
    Anyone has any experience with this company's products and quality.

PS: Also looking for brand recommendations.

Default Re: Basement window

ive never heard of them, but it could be a smaller local company where you are. there are alot of different window companys that are small in scale. if your looking for a quality unit, there is marvin, pella, anderson, kohler.
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I have 6 basement windows to replace and I have done 4 with 2 more to go. I had a rather large rough opening and wanted to reduce the size so I filled in the bottom with concrete and framed it out with pressure treated lumber. I used the American Craftsman PVC slider window. I got them fairly cheep at HD for $80 each. Its an argon filled double pane. Not bad, but for my basement I didnt want or need much more.

Hey Gonzo820nd,
    I am Gregg with The Home Depot in the Chicago land area. What kind of basement windows are you replacing? Basements usually have either hopper windows or escape windows. Hoppers are smaller rectangular windows. They are usually 30” wide x 17” or 19” tall and can be found in stock at most places. Escapes windows are designed to be removed easily in case of an emergency. These kinds of windows aren’t usually made by big name window companies, but by small local companies. “Duo-corp” sounds like a small local company. In my area “Tafco” is what we use for escape windows. Good luck and have fun. -Gregg

one bit of information on the last post is compeltely inaccurate, in regards to bigger name window companys not making specific windows.

the bigger name companies are more likely to make custom order windows, its simply a matter of not ordering through a big box store but directly through one of their show rooms.

i work for a high end renovation company where all of the windows we install are custom sizes, our main brand is "peter kohler", they account for roughly 40% of all window and doors being sold in eastern canada and roughly 10% of the east coast of the U.S.

the three big name companys for windows are Marvin, Pella and Anderson. i have installed all 4 brands mentioned and are easily the best made windows ive worked with. there are many small local window and door manufacturers in my region and most of these have been a nightmare to work with. shoddy workmanship, operate poorly and even worse customer service.
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Hey Jkirk,
    What I meant is that bigger window companies usually don't make typical basement Escape windows. Sorry, after rereading my post I can see how I worded it incorrectly. Thanks-Gregg

HOME DEPOT CHICAGO community.homedepot.com

Quote Originally Posted by gotogregg View Post
    Hey Gonzo820nd,
    I am Gregg with The Home Depot in the Chicago land area. What kind of basement windows are you replacing? Basements usually have either hopper windows or escape windows. Hoppers are smaller rectangular windows. They are usually 30” wide x 17” or 19” tall and can be found in stock at most places. Escapes windows are designed to be removed easily in case of an emergency. These kinds of windows aren’t usually made by big name window companies, but by small local companies. “Duo-corp” sounds like a small local company. In my area “Tafco” is what we use for escape windows. Good luck and have fun. -Gregg
    Thanks gotogregg for the information. I actually need to have some Escape Windows for my house. Can you recommend some companies which are reliable!

As the thing is that Structural capital under the limits would require a broad window. Top condition and out of the window trim will be reduced to a problem.

Old basement windows may be the source of groundwater side to return home during the rainy season. Sometimes the best option is to replace older, less efficient replacement window basement newer model. You are going to do the right thing.

Came across that name back in '07 but....