+ Reply to Thread

Question How to operate old wall sconces from wall dimmer switch

How do I put old wall sconces on a wall switch? I'm restoring a 1920's colonial revival and I've lots of great old brass wall sconces. The problem is they must each be turned on individually and therefore are not being used. Additionally, I'd like them to be dimmable. I've searched x10 products, thinking that I could accomplish this if I could make them addressable. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find anything that can solve my problem. What would you suggest?

Default Re: How to operate old wall sconces from wall dimmer switch

Cindy, I think this will do the trick http://www.smarthome.com/2251/Levito...le-6376/p.aspx with a X10 dimmer switch.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the information. I had already checked out the unit and it did not appear to solve my problem. The sconces are hardwired and the only switch is on the sconce itself. The unit suggested is too large to recess into the wall. I will purchase one and take apart to see if I can adapt it in some way. I did come across a product called the socket rocket screw in module. It screws into the light bulb socket and is addressable. The problem is that I need one for a small light bulb base as used in chandelier and wall sconces (i.e. B10 25W bulbs). Do you know of any such product?

At only 1 3/8" D x 2 1/8" W x 3" H it should fit in a 4X4 wall box or perhaps taped behind the sconce's escusion plate.

As far as I know the Socket Rocket only comes in the one base configeration.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by CindySHess View Post
    How do I put old wall sconces on a wall switch? I'm restoring a 1920's colonial revival and I've lots of great old brass wall sconces. The problem is they must each be turned on individually and therefore are not being used. Additionally, I'd like them to be dimmable. I've searched x10 products, thinking that I could accomplish this if I could make them addressable. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find anything that can solve my problem. What would you suggest?
    Quote Originally Posted by CindySHess View Post
    Thanks for the information. I had already checked out the unit and it did not appear to solve my problem. The sconces are hardwired and the only switch is on the sconce itself. The unit suggested is too large to recess into the wall. I will purchase one and take apart to see if I can adapt it in some way. I did come across a product called the socket rocket screw in module. It screws into the light bulb socket and is addressable. The problem is that I need one for a small light bulb base as used in chandelier and wall sconces (i.e. B10 25W bulbs). Do you know of any such product?
    Cindy,

As you say these two sconces are electrically wired to a branch circuit in an always on condition and are controlled on and off by a switch intregal to each sconce.

This is really quite a simple question. The supply can be re-routed, that is wired via a switch loop controlled by a single common wall dimmer and supply the sconces in parallel, or if you prefer you can wire two individual switch loops and have each sconce controlled individually. You simply leave the intregal sconce switch ON and controll the on/off from the dimmer, as well as adjust the light level. You can also turn OFF one or the other or both of the sconces using their integral switch (convenient for changing light bulbs, or cleaning activities).

P.S. "Old Work" multi-gang boxes and reducing bevels are readily available at a home center, hardware store, or electrical supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    Cindy,

As you say these two sconces are electrically wired to a branch circuit in an always on condition and are controlled on and off by a switch intregal to each sconce.

This is really quite a simple question. The supply can be re-routed, that is wired via a switch loop controlled by a single common wall dimmer and supply the sconces in parallel, or if you prefer you can wire two individual switch loops and have each sconce controlled individually. You simply leave the intregal sconce switch ON and controll the on/off from the dimmer, as well as adjust the light level. You can also turn OFF one or the other or both of the sconces using their integral switch (convenient for changing light bulbs, or cleaning activities).

P.S. "Old Work" multi-gang boxes and reducing bevels are readily available at a home center, hardware store, or electrical supply.
    To clarify ..... the switch loop would be in series not parallel.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    To clarify ..... the switch loop would be in series not parallel.
    Cindy,

I was clear, the sconces should be wired IN PARALLEL if on one switch/dimmer. Canuk's "clarification" unnecessary and incorrect.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-30-2008 at 12:54 AM.

I was clear, the sconces should be wired IN PARALLEL if on one switch/dimmer. Canuk's "clarification" unnecessary and incorrect.
    The sconces are wired parallel to each other .... however ... a toggle switch or dimmer is wired in series in the hot supply to the sconces.

Perhaps those more knowledgeable and experienced can decipher your posts ..... remember when others without the experience and knowledge read your replies may not be able to decipher your meaning.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I think the fact that she's looking at X10 controls is a good indication that she would prefer not rewiring the house.
    Jack

to me it is utterly amazing that someone who is dependant on others in doing google searches at the same time can be so adamant about something that they have no experience in. and not just on one topic but on every topic that crosses this board. brp you need to back up a bit and realize that you can't be an expert on every topic with no experience on any of them. a person losses credibility fast. and yours is long gone. time to leave and come back under a new name. and when you do try a new personality with it.