+ Reply to Thread

Default Best Ridding Lawn mower for $1200

I am in the market for my first Riding Lawn mower. I recently moved and now have a much bigger lawn that requires a rider. I have been searching around but I hear all sorts of things from, "they last a year to five years" "they break down a lot" and so on... My biggest worry is that I will get a lemon and be out of luck. What I want to know is who has had the best luck with their mower and what is the brand name, also which one has a good service plan?

Default Re: Best Ridding Lawn mower for $1200

The easiest thing to do is Google "MTD" and see what brands they umbrella manufacture and STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MTD builds garbage and they've swallowed up most of the homeowner known brands.

I'd recommend Honda, Toro, John Deere, Kubota, and brands that cater more to the commercial side because these machines are built much better and you've got a manufacturer that's going to stand behind their product as well as have plenty of aftermarket support/repair.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would agree with Spruce in regards to especially choosing John Deere, Craftsman or Cub Cadet, especially John Deere.

Consumer Reports (available at your public library) did an excellent review on rider tractor mowers in their May 10, 2010 issue, page 47.

Tops in both quality, repair record and price was John Deere, hands down.

Of the 40 rider mowers reviewed, the best among any of the following is: John Deere Model X304 at $3600, John Deere X300 at $3000, John Deere, LA115 at $1750, John Deere LA105 at $1500, Craftsman 28933 at $2800, Craftsman 28828 at $1700, Craftsman 28724 at $1400,Cub Cadet LTX 1040 at $1500 and Cub Cadet 1045 at $1700.

John Deere and Craftsman both required fewest repairs for the length of ownership.

Be advised that if you want to bag/mulch the clippings there is a kit attachment required costing approx. $350.

Also check out the site below---enter "riding mower" or "tractor mower" or brand name mowers in their search box to get additional reviews; also Google the terms mentioned plus the word "reviews" to get additional ****** reviews of tractor mowers.

Shop around to as many stores as you can, price differences & discounts are common.

The stores often offer clearance sales as the growing season winds down in Aug.,Sept.

http://www.epinions.com
    Last edited by Dobbs; 07-14-2010 at 07:23 AM.

It's good to do the research. In my opinion there is no good $1200 rider. I have had a JD for 20 years and have mowed more in one year than most people do in ten.

Stay away from the JD riders at the big box stores they are made by MTD and JD dealers will not service them or carry parts for them.

I can still get parts for my 20 year old JD, all except a new deck.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Stay away from the JD riders at the big box stores they are made by MTD and JD dealers will not service them or carry parts for them.
    Definitely stick to dealers and not a box store. The Craftsman and Cub Cadet are also MTD built.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I can still get parts for my 20 year old JD, all except a new deck.
    Unfortunately, this is not the case with all older equipment. Every brand that MTD has swallowed up has lost serviceability because MTD changed the designs of everything and does not support the older equipment. Once good, proud names like Troy Built are now scrap iron and the new stuff bearing the name is crap. You're only minor salvation is the engines, which are still produced by other manufacturers, so they are serviceable.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Red face Re: Best Ridding Lawn mower for $1200

We just returned from working in England for a year, and had sold our John Deere before we left. When we returned my wife bought a Troy Bilt riding mower from Lowes. Bad Mistake! She really misses the John Deere we had. She loves to mow and now wants a John Deere for next season.

I myself have had less than happy results with MTD and Murrey products. Currently have a 5 yr old Husky with OC Briggs engine. Biggest problems have been shift linkage and tie rod.

Quote Originally Posted by kcb View Post
    I myself have had less than happy results with MTD and Murrey products. Currently have a 5 yr old Husky with OC Briggs engine. Biggest problems have been shift linkage and tie rod.
    I believe that Husky is under the MTD umbrella too, so sadly that would be the problem. You have to stick with brand name dealers who sell their own products (Toro, Honda, JD, etc. ).