+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default electrical confusion

i have decided to remove the ceiling fan from one of my rooms and return it to just a regular ceiling light fixture.
    the fan operates by pulling on the chains,the lights on the fan are operated by a dimmer switch on the wall.
    when i removed the fan i found this to be the wiring sequence.the ceiling box shows a black and white wire connected together, one white wire on the other side,there is also another white wire in the box connected to nothing,how do i arrange the wires in the ceiling box so that i just have a ordinary light fixture,hope this all makes sense to someone out there,i am not a guru,so simple step by step is what i need.

Default Re: electrical confusion

Quote Originally Posted by simonjim1481 View Post
    i have decided to remove the ceiling fan from one of my rooms and return it to just a regular ceiling light fixture.
    the fan operates by pulling on the chains,the lights on the fan are operated by a dimmer switch on the wall.
    when i removed the fan i found this to be the wiring sequence.the ceiling box shows a black and white wire connected together, one white wire on the other side,there is also another white wire in the box connected to nothing,how do i arrange the wires in the ceiling box so that i just have a ordinary light fixture,hope this all makes sense to someone out there,i am not a guru,so simple step by step is what i need.
    It can be easily done -- however it will be simpler to direct you with some information.
    What wires were connected from the fan to which wires in the ceiling box?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Originally you had 3 wires hooked to the fan/light. One was for the fan motor, one for the light, and one was neutral along with ground wiring. The cable that has a white wire connected to to a black is no doubt the power to the switch, the black wire in that cable is the return that was connected to the light, that wire would be connected to the new light. One wire from the fan should have been connected to the black connected to the white that will no longer be used. The other white wire is the neutral which goes to the other side of the light.

Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	3712  
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

to answer "canuk" question,the wires in the fan were white on one side connected to white in ceiling box,on the other side is a blue and black twisted together connected to the black and white in the ceiling box,the blue wire is identified as"light wire".hope this what you were asking for.
    thank you for you interest.

to answer "canuk" question,the wires in the fan were white on one side connected to white in ceiling box,on the other side is a blue and black twisted together connected to the black and white in the ceiling box,the blue wire is identified as"light wire".hope this what you were asking for.
    thank you for you interest.
    Thanks it does help for you to identify which wires to hook up based on what you see.
    Now you can relate better to the description Jack had posted.

In the ceiling box the black wire connected to the white wire should be constant power supply to the dimmer switch on the wall. There should be a black wire in the ceiling box which would be the switch wire coming from the dimmer.

If the fan is turned on with pull chains then the black wire on the fan would have been conned to the black/white in the ceiling box.

The blue wire ( lamp ) on the fan should have been connected to likely a black wire --- the switch line from the dimmer.

However, the confusing parts ---
    ........ you said the black and blue wires from the fan were both connected to black/white wires in the ceiling box.
    If that were the case the light on the fan would always be on.

........ you say there is an extra white wire in the ceiling box which is not connected to anything.
    Was this a typo and that wire is actually a black ? I'm suspecting that to be the case.

Like Jack posted ----

were white on one side connected to white in ceiling box --- connect the white wire of the new light fixture to this wire

on the other side is a blue and black twisted together connected to the black and white --- there will be nothing connected. Leave the black/white in the ceiling box connected together.

There should be another black wire in the ceiling box which connects to the black wire of the new light fixture. This for the switch on the wall to control the light.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

My apologies if this derails the thread a bit but I am having a similar issue but in reverse.

I am installing a ceiling fan with a light in place of an existing light fixture. When I took the existing fixture off I discovered two sheathed wiring sets...one black and one white and each one has a black, white, and ground wire.

I've tried a couple of configurations to get it back to switch on/off at the wall instead of on the fan assembly and it's driving me a bit batty. I wish I could remember how the original fixture was wired but the double wire set threw me.

How can I wire this so that I will be able to once again use the switch on the wall for the new fan and light?

Thanks in advance...

Look at your switch wiring and see if the cable is white sheathed or black sheathed. The one on the switch is the switch loop. The white wire in the switch loop is connected to the black wire of the power lead. The black wire is then the power to the fan/light and the white lead in the power lead is neutral and is connected to the fan white. If you want the switch to turn on the fan and light connect the black and blue fan leads to the switch loop black. If you want the switch to control the light and you have a pull chain for the fan, connect the blue lead to the switch loop black and connect the fan lack to the switch loop white/power lead black.

Jack

would like to thank "mcdaniel" and"canuk" for their help,and to thank them for making it so easy to solve my problem,with help like that around me,i will fear electrical challenges no more.
    thanks.

You are quite welcome. glad you got it working.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Look at your switch wiring and see if the cable is white sheathed or black sheathed. The one on the switch is the switch loop. The white wire in the switch loop is connected to the black wire of the power lead. The black wire is then the power to the fan/light and the white lead in the power lead is neutral and is connected to the fan white. If you want the switch to turn on the fan and light connect the black and blue fan leads to the switch loop black. If you want the switch to control the light and you have a pull chain for the fan, connect the blue lead to the switch loop black and connect the fan lack to the switch loop white/power lead black.

Jack
    I did the latter and it's all working great! Thank you so much!