+ Reply to Thread

Default High Victorian Gothic with Normandy?

I recently purchased this house, located just outside of Boston MA. The real estate listing indicated that this was built in 1880. However, I have since did research and found that the house was already existing as early as 1875. I spoke with local historians and we think that the house was built c.1874. High Victorian Gothic style houses are rare in this region. A few that are in existence are more of pure Ruskinian style (Venitian influence), but this one looks more Normandy to me, due to its half-timber and part stucco facade. But there is conflicting information that the facade was later added (in 1940), as opposed to being original to the house. I would like to hear from anyone who is familiar with this architectural style/history, and if you know of any houses out there that are similar to this house, PLEASE contact me!! I really would like to find out who the architect was, and what the house originally looked like. I want to restore the house true to its original style.
    Thank you very much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2129.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	3801  
    Last edited by The Orchard House; 12-12-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Default Re: High Victorian Gothic with Normandy?

Just to follow up -
    I know it's a long shot but I found out that the very first person who lived in the house (around 1875 - at least 1910) was an architect (later, historian) by the name of Samuel M. Barton. If anyone has any information at all about his work (other houses or buildings possibly designed by him), PLEASE let me know. Thank you!!