+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: LIghts will not shut off

Quote Originally Posted by DougLanglois View Post
    Oh I get it. I was just saying that I worked under a different set of assumed constraints than you so I got a different answer. I see no my assumptions were probably incorrect. He probably can re-order the fittings. In which of course he he should, since it'll be easier.

My question was actually genuine - is there a way to have power at the start of the run, switch at the end of the run, and multiple lights in the middle that doesn't use 14/3?
    A very open question. It can be done using multiple 14/2 cables in at least part of the run.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    A very open question. It can be done using multiple 14/2 cables in at least part of the run.
    Jack
    I should have said "with a single run of 14/2 cable" between each light, between the power and the first light, and between the switch and the last light.

As far as I know that wouldn't be possible without wiring the lights in series. If it is possible, then I could have done my recent project a little more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by deadshort View Post
    Reorder what "fittings"??
    Simply poor terminology on my part. I mean -

Rather than go

Code:
    source > light > light > switch
    he needs to go

Code:
    source > switch > light > light
    or

Code:
    source > light > switch
               V
             light

Quote Originally Posted by DougLanglois View Post
    Oh I get it. I was just saying that I worked under a different set of assumed constraints than you so I got a different answer. I see no my assumptions were probably incorrect. He probably can re-order the fittings. In which of course he he should, since it'll be easier.

My question was actually genuine - is there a way to have power at the start of the run, switch at the end of the run, and multiple lights in the middle that doesn't use 14/3?
    * If * the configuration pictured was the *only* way it could be then --- yes Doug you are correct --- 14/3 would be needed between the two luminares.
    Hopefully you've gotten the answer you're looking for.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    * If * the configuration pictured was the *only* way it could be then --- yes Doug you are correct --- 14/3 would be needed between the two luminares.
    Hopefully you've gotten the answer you're looking for.
    Thanks Canuk, yes I have.

I ask because I was in a situation recently in my basement where my best option was to have a light switch at the end of a run of lights, and this was the only way I could figure. In the end, since I had no 12/3 but a crap load of 12/2 I was unlikely to need, I just rejiggered and made the run a little longer than it needed to be in order to use what I had.

If it had turned out I could have done the shorter run with only 12/2 I'd be kicking myself