+ Reply to Thread

Default Dishwasher under cooktop?

I am planning to add a dishwasher to my tiny kitchen. I'm very tight on space and the best place is to the right of the sink, but that puts it partially under my cooktop. I called the local building department & the inspector said that is not in violation of any codes that he knows of but he's never seen it done. My contractor says it looks like there is room but he's never done it before. Can this really be done? If it can, why doesn't any do it? Should I worry about heat from the cooktop damaging the dishwasher (it's a gas cooktop)? There are drawers beneath it now.

Default Re: Dishwasher under cooktop?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    I am planning to add a dishwasher to my tiny kitchen. I'm very tight on space and the best place is to the right of the sink, but that puts it partially under my cooktop. I called the local building department & the inspector said that is not in violation of any codes that he knows of but he's never seen it done. My contractor says it looks like there is room but he's never done it before. Can this really be done? If it can, why doesn't any do it?
    when the dishwasher door is open it would be difficult to access the cook top --- would be my guess why it isn't usaully done.

Should I worry about heat from the cooktop damaging the dishwasher (it's a gas cooktop)? There are drawers beneath it now.
    If there is no excessive heat within the drawers then there shouldn't be any concerns with the dishwasher.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by deadshort View Post
    You need space below the level of the cook-top/counter-top to recess the cook-top. Most dishwashers sit flush to the bottom of the counter-top. Problem, unless you want to raise the height of the counter for the cook top to have room for it and the gas connections. Or find a shorty dishwasher.
    Duh on me --- there's the answer.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for the replies. Most of the dishwashers that I look at state you need a minimum of 34" of height, which I have, even allowing for the cooktop's clearance. Then I guess the part of the dishwasher that is not under the cooktop won't be immediately flush with the countertop. Not the best, but still ok, I think... I guess I will proceed with extreme caution and check and double check the specs of the dishwasher and my measurements before I buy. I also checked with our home inspector and he said it's no problem in terms of code violations or potential hazards with heat or moisture from either appliance.

Success! The dishwasher is installed immediately to the right of our sink which means the left side is under the cooktop. If it were any wider, we would have run into problems because of an electrical box on the underside of the cooktop, but we just made it and absolutely no problems at all. We got one with the concealed controls on top and it isn't completely flush with the underside of the countertop, but you don't notice. I've seen bigger gaps in other kitchens. Of course, it is awkward if my husband is cooking and I want to load the dishwasher, but that's the reality in such a small kitchen. Doesn't happen too often. Definitely worth the time saved. By the way, if you are even thinking about it, splurge on a bosch. It is absolutely silent.

i don't like dishwasher
    i like to wash utensils manually