+ Reply to Thread

Smile Which Ice and Water Shield, Grace or Certainteed winterguard???

All right, I know that when it comes to a waterproof membrane for your roof, nothing beats Grace Ice and Water shield. I'm in the process of requesting proposals for a roof replacement, and all of the roofers so far have submitted proposals for using a competing brand of "ice and water shield", either winterguard from Certainteed or the comparable from GAF. My question: do I insist on my roofer using the Grace brand product?
    So far all roofers have said basically the same thing, that winterguard works "just as well as grace". Frankly, I don't believe that, and I think they include the other brands in their bid, because it's cheaper and thus lowers their bid price and enhances their chance to win the job. Plus, I think it's much easier to roll on the certainteed winterguard, which is much more user friendly then the Grace, which isn't very user friendly. Basically, it amounts to an extra $200 in material to upgrade to Grace Ice and water shield, which I have no problem paying the extra money. What does everyone think?

Default Re: Which Ice and Water Shield, Grace or Certainteed winterguard???

the quality of the product depends on the supplier, bigger suppliers wont carry a product if its low quality, smaller suppliers will carry a cheaper product to compete with the big guys who sell more product which gives them buying power

ive used many brands of ice and water shield, ive only had issues with one which i will not use again. Grace is the big name brand same as bakor's blueskin. the only time i specifically use grace product is when using Vycor,

yes you should worry about getting a quality product, but remember that the ice and water is the last line of defense when it comes to your roof, quality shingles and a proper install is where most of your concern should come in
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Hi insist on 30 pound felt&it installed over the ice dam product - no worries...

The underlayment is Certainteed Roofer's Select, which I think will be fine. Most likely I'll be going with the Certainteed Landmark shingles. The suppliers around here are all good and carry both the grace ice and water shield and the certainteed winterguard. I'm considering two of the better roofers in my area, and both are pricing with winterguard. My point is if it's worth it to insist on grace ice and water shield or go with the slightly cheaper (and perhaps less effective) winterguard.

you can ask for it, the contractor may supply it he may not, just usually it depends on what he gets for a better price through the supplier
    no harm in asking the contractor, just dont forget to get a warrenty other than the tail light warrenty
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I'm afraid you may be missing my point. I will approve all materials on the job, and if the contractor doesn't want to do the job with the materials that I spec, then he won't get the job. It's that simple. Again, I will sign-off on all materials used. It's an extra $200 for grace ice and water shield over certainteed winterguard. Is it worth it for grace ice and water or is winterguard just fine?

I would say they are comparable products and if I were using certainteed shingles especially, I wouldn't see a reason not to use the winter guard. How does using other products affect the warranty?

Thanks ed, I'm sure certainteed wants you to "keep it in the family" and use winter guard, but I'm more concerned about creating a super-weather tight roof and many have said that GRACE IWS is the best in the biz.