+ Reply to Thread

Cool flooring or cabinets first?

I couldn't find this in an article on TOH. If it's already been discussed here, please direct me to the thread. Both the flooring and cabinets will be cheap, but the cabinets will cost more.
    Deb in Cincy

Default Re: flooring or cabinets first?

I would recommend laying the flooring before installing the cabinets. It will be much easier than trying to work around the base cabinets. When it comes time to install the base cabinets they will be all on the same surface plane and makes a cleaner look, in my opinion.
    You need to lay the finsh flooring in areas where the stove , fridge and built in dishwasher will be located anyway, so you might as well do the whole area.
    Also, if you decide to do remodeling down the road it will far easier than trying to patch in the flooring.

Thumbs up Re: flooring or cabinets first?

Thx, Leonard Homes.
    Deb in Cincy

It will depend on the type of flooring you are installing. If you are installing a laminate floating floor you do not want it under the cabinets. Instead you would use plywood the same thickness as the flooring as a spacer under the cabinets. If you are installing hardwood flooring or vinyl flooring install the flooring first.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Talking Re: flooring or cabinets first?

thx, Jack. probably sheet vinyl.
    Deb in Cincy

Be sure to have some heavy cardboard or a piece of plywood to lay on the floor to protect it when working with the cabinets and always lift and set them into place rather than sliding them.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It will depend on the type of flooring you are installing. If you are installing a laminate floating floor you do not want it under the cabinets. Instead you would use plywood the same thickness as the flooring as a spacer under the cabinets. If you are installing hardwood flooring or vinyl flooring install the flooring first.
    Jack
    Sort of --- you can install cabinets over some name brand laminate floors as long as there is no fastening of the cabinets to the floor required or a maximum of 250 lbs isn't exceeded. --- not that I would put laminate floors down anyway.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush