+ Reply to Thread

Question Energy Kinetics Hot Water StorageTank

I am looking for a place to buy a 40-gallon hot water storage tank that would be compatible with the system 2000 (from Energy Kinetics). I have been browsing the web for a vendor, but with no success. The best i could find is the "indirect fire heater" type of tank. I am locate in Agawam, MA. Please reply with some suggestions.
    Thank you

Default Re: Energy Kinetics Hot Water StorageTank

I was under the impression that any INDIRECT HOT WATER HEATER tank could work with the System 2000 boiler.

I know EK has one System 2000 model that I believe matches their boiler with a Triangle Tube Phase 3 indirect HWH---all of these indirects are nothing more than an insulated tank with a stainless steel tank within a tank, or a coiled copper tube down the middle---they accept the circulated hot water from the boiler (heat exchanger) to heat the domestic hot water for the taps.

Call some of your local installers for the System 2000 to verify that another IHWH can be substituted for the company's own tank---if so, you have the choice of many good ones---aside from the Triangle Tube Phase 3, there is HTP Superstor, Crown Megastor, Weil McLain **** Plus, Lochinvor Squire, TFI Everhot, Viessmann Veticell, and Amtrol Boilermate.

These units are carried by local heating supply dealers---consult the Yellow Pages under "Heating Equipment"---if you want to install it as a diy, many plumbing supply dealers will sell to anyone (cash sale), some restrict their sales to licensed contractors---get several quotes for best price before you buy.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 04-19-2009 at 02:59 PM.

There are two choices for hot water with this type system:

1- A standard electric hot water tank, any make, but only wire the lower thermostat, 24volt to the thermostat side of the system manager. No 120 volt connected to the tank. The 120 volt power comes from the boiler, is wired to a bronze or stainless pump that pulls water from the bottom of the storage tank, through a side arm flat plate heat exchanger which sits on a boiler bypass between the boiler supply and return lines, and heated back into the center of the tank through a shortened dip tube. The exchanger is very efficient. Mine is about 23 yrs old. I was the very first EK dealer in the western US.

The boiler control, System Manager, does not know what brand of tank you use. It is seen as thermostat call #1 on the mgr. The thermostat signal starts the boiler and the boiler circ pump which heats the side arm exchanger. After the boiler comes up to temp it sends the signal to the switch which sends the power to start the domestic circ pump which runs as long as there is a thermostat call to the water tank.

2- Or as NashuaTech explained, you can use an indirect water tank. This system does not use the side arm and 2d circ pump system. Instead of pumping the domestic water from a tank to the boiler as was so popular in the past, you just make the Indirect Tank another zone like any other. In this case, the thermostat call on the water tank would open the zone just like any other heating zone. The domestic water simply flows through the tank by it's own pressure. This set up costs more but is more forgiving of "bad water". More reliable albeit less efficient. How much less I have not seen research on, but I don't think it is much based on the recovery time.
    There are actually 2 types of indirect tank. One as N'Teck said has a coil in a tank. The other is a tank within a tank.

EK did not offer this option for many years, but many homes have corrosive water which clogs or corrodes the flat plate exchanger. The maintenance can be simple enough if it is set up for easy cleaning with acid (I use acetic because it is potable), and valves and unions for quick removal. I always set it up to be easy for the DIY customer. Some dealers don't even bother maintaining the side arm because of the cost of labor. They just sell the customer a new side arm or change over to this indirect tank method.

In either choice, the boiler control doesn't know what brand of parts you use.

I have set up other brand low mass boilers to operate as a cheap substitute for System 2000, eg Laars Max, Burnham LE etc.

Kevin,

When you replace the Energy Kinetics tank with a standard electric hot water tank (GE), what length do you make (shorten) the dip tube?

How do you easily remove the dip tube?

Is it typically an interference or friction fit?

Thanks,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by KevinCorr View Post
    There are two choices for hot water with this type system:

1- A standard electric hot water tank, any make, but only wire the lower thermostat, 24volt to the thermostat side of the system manager. No 120 volt connected to the tank. The 120 volt power comes from the boiler, is wired to a bronze or stainless pump that pulls water from the bottom of the storage tank, through a side arm flat plate heat exchanger which sits on a boiler bypass between the boiler supply and return lines, and heated back into the center of the tank through a shortened dip tube. The exchanger is very efficient. Mine is about 23 yrs old. I was the very first EK dealer in the western US.

The boiler control, System Manager, does not know what brand of tank you use. It is seen as thermostat call #1 on the mgr. The thermostat signal starts the boiler and the boiler circ pump which heats the side arm exchanger. After the boiler comes up to temp it sends the signal to the switch which sends the power to start the domestic circ pump which runs as long as there is a thermostat call to the water tank.

2- Or as NashuaTech explained, you can use an indirect water tank. This system does not use the side arm and 2d circ pump system. Instead of pumping the domestic water from a tank to the boiler as was so popular in the past, you just make the Indirect Tank another zone like any other. In this case, the thermostat call on the water tank would open the zone just like any other heating zone. The domestic water simply flows through the tank by it's own pressure. This set up costs more but is more forgiving of "bad water". More reliable albeit less efficient. How much less I have not seen research on, but I don't think it is much based on the recovery time.
    There are actually 2 types of indirect tank. One as N'Teck said has a coil in a tank. The other is a tank within a tank.

EK did not offer this option for many years, but many homes have corrosive water which clogs or corrodes the flat plate exchanger. The maintenance can be simple enough if it is set up for easy cleaning with acid (I use acetic because it is potable), and valves and unions for quick removal. I always set it up to be easy for the DIY customer. Some dealers don't even bother maintaining the side arm because of the cost of labor. They just sell the customer a new side arm or change over to this indirect tank method.

In either choice, the boiler control doesn't know what brand of parts you use.

I have set up other brand low mass boilers to operate as a cheap substitute for System 2000, eg Laars Max, Burnham LE etc.