+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Replacing Entry Door Knob with 5" Offset

At a party recently, a guest went outside my front door and closed it behind her, and then couldn't get back in. Hilarity ensued, we took apart the door knob, and discovered that a plastic piece inside the mechanism had shattered.

The next day, I went to my local hardware store to get a replacement keyed entry set, bought one, and brought it home. It wasn't until then that I realized that it was designed for either a 2-3/4 or 2-1/2" offset, and my original door knob was installed for some reason with a 5" offset.

I've searched the internet to no avail. If 5" offset door knobs exist, they're impossible to find as far as I can tell.

Anyone know whether I'm stuck, and if not where I might find a 5" offset door knob set?

Thanks,

Donnie

Default Re: Replacing Entry Door Knob with 5" Offset

Look for a company that specializes in door hardware and consult with them. I've never seen extended bolts (that's the part that goes from the handset to the door jamb ) and general retailers, but I have seen then in use at clients homes as well as at door hardware specialty dealers.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It's rare to find a residential door with a 5" backset. Heck, even in commercial it's not common but that's where you mainly find them used.
    The more common dimmensions are 2-3/8 or 2-3/4 " backset.
    Some manufacturers will have a " long backset extension link " for certain models of their door sets. The extension link is used with the standard door set to work the latch with the 5 inch backset.
    I highly doubt you will find those at your local hardware or DIY center.
    You need to contact a supplier that specializes in commercial hardware or even try a locksmith shop.

Most hardware stores carry Kwickset and should be able to order http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Product...B__KW3014.aspx

Or You can try http://www.kilianhardware.com/exlo5inbafor.html

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Question Re: Replacing Entry Door Knob with 5" Offset

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Can either of you clarify what you mean by "a company that specializes in door hardware"? Not sure how to start a search for one of those in my corner of Montana.

I'm thinking of cutting a plug for the old hole, filling it in, and drilling a new one at the standard offset.

Donnie
    Last edited by dhc02; 07-12-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Smile Re: Replacing Entry Door Knob with 5" Offset

Sorry, Jack. Your reply was posted as I was posting my follow-up. Thanks so much for the links.

Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Most hardware stores carry Kwickset and should be able to order http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Product...B__KW3014.aspx

Or You can try http://www.kilianhardware.com/exlo5inbafor.html

Jack

Look in the phone book under "door hardware" and "doors and millwork", both should have results for companies that specialize in door hardware or have a very strong focus on it. Start with phone calls to the perspective suppliers for what you need.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thumbs up Re: Replacing Entry Door Knob with 5" Offset

Turns out my local hardware store (Nelson's ACE in Whitefish, MT - you're awesome!) had stocked 5" backset barrels all along. I just hadn't looked hard enough and/or asked someone.

I'm all set. Thanks for everyone's help.

Donnie

Glad to have helped and that you've found what you need.