+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Toasted Microwave - How do I get rid of smoke odor?

Last night my neck was stiff, so I thought I'd use the rice-filled thingie I got as a gift several years back. I have often used it as an ice pack, and I knew it was nukable too. However, apparently the cover that holds the rice bags is not.
    I removed the microwave from the house, cleaned up the mess (and removed the stinky trash from the house), doused everything (countertop, wall, etc.) with vinegar, and when that didn't work, I hit everything with Febreeze. The house still reeks of burnt rice mixed with melted man-made materials. It's almost a burnt toast smell.
    I had planned on painting the kitchen soon, this will just make it sooner. I s there anything to be done about the smell?

Default Re: Toasted Microwave - How do I get rid of smoke odor?

Ozone generator....maybe?

Or.. tincture of time.

Open the windows as often as the weather allows. Try making up a solution of baking soda and water and wipe all the walls and cupboards down with it. You need to be careful to avoid leaving a film on the cupboards. You may want to wipe them down with a dry towel afterwards.

I'm not positive that this will work but baking soda in refridgerators keeps them from smelling so this may work for you. An idea anyway.

Good Luck.

Deodorizers and perfumes are no substitute for washing down surfaces with a solution (ammonia, a good surfactant like a plain detergent such as dishwashing liquid with no additives and water) and rinsing well (have to remove the sticky sooty residue from all surfaces) and laundring all fabrics exposed. Wood surfaces you might use TSP and water, then rinse and neutralize well. When you repaint first seal. Original forumula BIN shellac based sealer/primer is often used for that purpose (post fire/smoke damage remediation).

An often overlooked source of odor after a sooty kitchen fire is the refrigerator. Vacuum the coils, clean the condensation drip trays and clean the exterior of the entire case, don't overlook the exterior surfaces of the door seals, collections of sticky soot tends to nest there.

Wash everything with TSP and neutralize as directed. When repainting prime with B-I-N to seal in the smoke. If cabinets are painted you'll need to repaint those too.