+ Reply to Thread

Default Best Way to Remove Black Berry Bushes permanently???

I have some vacant land and over the last few years the Blk Berry Bushes have spread out to the point you can't walk the place without running in to these bushes. They started out maybe 18 inches tall but the last 3 years they have jumped to 4 or 5 feet high and you have to stay away because of the thorns they have.

I have tried "RoundUp" "Tough Brush" it does seem to work but over for a short time and they return, they seem to be of the tube root familyand quickly come back up. These are large patches some are 30 to 40 ft in diameter and hard to cover the entire area with the spray but even smaller areas. They return after.

Is there a good way to remove these permanently the same with what some call "Sweet Fern". Or does it require spraying and tilling because these areas a large and I have no farm type equipment to do this and so What would be the best means to do this in a one or two time venture? Or will be be an on going task?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
    MMeehan

Default Re: Best Way to Remove Black Berry Bushes permanently???

hi the removal product that is just made for blackberries works.

We had a similar problem on our farm until we bought goats to help clean up the green-briars. They completely did away with our black-berry vines. So if you have the time and a fenced area, try goats.

Smile Re: Best Way to Remove Black Berry Bushes permanently???

One other way to perminently get rid of them might be to find a fellow DIY guy who wants some black bushes and tell hime he can have them as long as s/he removed all of them. If the plants are still a problem and you are in the boston area let me know and I will come by and take them out and off your hands.

Mike
    617-283-1815

As the prior poster stated, there are blackberry specific herbicides. They are available at garden centers n spray bottles that attach to a garden hose and can project the spray quite a distance. Unless the roots are killed, they will keep coming up. Obviously, goats will deprive them of leaves and without leaves, the entire plant will eventually die.

Blackberries are a real curse here in Oregon. They should be named the State Weed I have a continuing battle with them, but have been able to control them with the dedicated herbicide. I spray about a ten foot zone in back of my rear
    fence to keep them from entering my yard. At least the berries are good, if you don't get cut to death by the thorns in the process!

Just let me take care of them for a while. With my black thumb they'll be dead in a week,

Once you get them knocked down -- hire someone with a tractor and "brush hog" -- keep them at bay by seeding grass and regularly mowing the area. After a few years (yes, years) they may disappear altogether. But you have to keep the area mowed!
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.