+ Reply to Thread

Default HELP What color to choose

I've read all the discussions on color choice and I'm still stumped....My living room, dining room and kitchen is all one large long room.....My couch and love seat are dark brown leather, my TV furniture is dark brown, my dining room set is dark brown, my kitchen cabinets are light pine....the floors in all the rooms are ths same....cream tones large 12" tiles....the color wheel suggests I put a dark blue/green on the walls...but wouldn't that make the room even heavier...my personality is modern and whimical...just don't know where to go with this....and then, what color should my accents be???

Default Re: HELP What color to choose

Go with your instincts. IMHO dark is not the way to go. I'd suggest off white into beige for the walls, off white for the ceilings, and IF you feel the need for more color, then paint only one wall the vibrant accent color. Your furniture will change over time, you will likely move at some point, so maintaining neutral colors within the house is a good thing and accent with d****ries, furnishings, and other decor.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I think teal (a blue green) in a light to medium tone rather than dark, accent with earth tones and blue.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Go with your instincts. IMHO dark is not the way to go. I'd suggest off white into beige for the walls, off white for the ceilings, and IF you feel the need for more color, then paint only one wall the vibrant accent color. Your furniture will change over time, you will likely move at some point, so maintaining neutral colors within the house is a good thing and accent with d****ries, furnishings, and other decor.
    I agree with this. Pale walls keep the space looking larger but one wall in a bright colour can add a bit of personality. Try a few cushions on your seating that are the same colour as your statement wall.
    Fred Hidden Content

Love Hidden Content from Jones & Co

BM coastal Fog is a great color or BM Berkshire beige. I used both in my home they look great!

I'd go with neutral, soft cream or beige, or even a light gray. Then use color in soft furnishings, get some cushions and rugs, put some colorful canvases on the walls, have big colorful pots around etc. A feature wall looks good, I quite like big, flowery wallpaper on one wall but that's my taste.

Behr "Cottage White" approximates the color of the White House walls - a light cream. We painted trim white, and it's very elegant. White for the ceiling is traditional and opens up the room as opposed to a colored ceiling. Crown molding does wonders, too.

Use your colors in your decor, as suggested. It's much easier to change a pillow or two than to repaint.

I'd go with a light color or neutral throughout and use accessories for color accents. One accent wall in a color would be nice, too.