+ Reply to Thread

Default interesting refrigerator story

While moving out from our last house, we had a friend come and help. One thing she did was empty the fridge, as it was staying, and the power would be turned off. Unknown to us, she didn't clean out the freezer section. We turned off the power and had to leave a few things behind. One thing and another happened, and we didn't go back to get our stuff until a few months later. The fridge had been completely infested with maggots, even up in the vents going from the freezer section to the fridge, and they had died, leaving a brown crust of corpses all over the inside of the fridge. We cleaned it up, but now the fridge won't run; the light turns on, so it has power, but the motor seems dead. What's wrong with it, and can we fix it?

Default Re: interesting refrigerator story

Had a similar instance. Was given an old fridge that worked fine, as a matter of fact it was in use when I brought it home. It sat for a week while I cleaned and replaced the door panels, after that it wouldn't run anymore. Repair tech said that it's common for the things to seize up and repair would cost more than the fridge was worth. We pitched it and bought a new fridge.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I second the "toss it" motion. The maggots in the vents would have convinced me even if it ran.
    I had a similar issue with bluefish in a freezer that was accidently turned off. No maggots, but I doubt if the smell would have gone away if it was burried in baking soda.

Thanks for the replies. Ok, I guess I'll toss it. Just for curiosity, what makes it seize up so easily?

I don't know, I'm not a fridge tech. All I know is that they tend to continue working as long as they stay plugged in. Once they've been turned off for any length of time they're done for.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!