+ Reply to Thread

Default Asbestos tile (VAT) matrix question

How exactly are coated in the "matrix" with floor tiles? If you break the tiles are you breaking the matrix, thereby releasing the asbestos fibers into the air?

Default Re: Asbestos tile (VAT) matrix question

The asbestos is in the tile and usually the mastic that sticks it to the floor. When it is sc****d up and broken into lots of pieces it can release asbestos in the dust created. I can't say how much is released, but scraping a floor is messy.If the tile is 8"x8" or 9"x9" it probably has asbestos in it.

Thanks for your response.

I recently took up some asbestos tiles using heat and a 4" sc****r. Most of the tiles broke, but not into a fine powder. There was no visible air born dust. It was only a 15-20 ft. area.

Now, people that I've talked to about this say, "don't worry because the asbestos is contained in the matrix" meaning that it's coated in some other type of matter that contains it. I'm wondering if I release the asbestos fibers from this matrix if I break the tiles, or would I have to sand or grind the tiles into a powder to accomplish this. Of course, I'm not trying to create a hazard, I'm just trying to assess the extent to which I could have released asbestos fibers throughout my house.
    Last edited by Violet33; 07-08-2010 at 07:51 PM.

It is in the tile, but how much if any is released when it is broken, I don't know. The dust created when scraping and breaking the tile seems likely to have asbestos in it.
    You could ask an asbestos abatement company, but I doubt if you'll get an answer.