+ Reply to Thread

Default 4-Way (3 Location) Dimmers

Over the past couple of weeks I have installed single pole and two separate three-way dimmers, one in dining room and other in master bedroom. Now my task is to install a dimmer for the family room; the challenge being there are three switch locations, and finding the appropriate dimmer or dimmers. I have not found anything about a single dimmer switch that works in a four-way circuit; but have heard about some type of master/slave multi-dimmer configuration. Adding to the dilemma, the dimmer(s) need to be rated to 1,000W; guess I need to special order as most I've seen is 600W.

Suggestions much appreciated!!

Gerry

Default Re: 4-Way (3 Location) Dimmers

In a 4-way switch circuit, two of the switches are 3-way. You should be able to replace one of the 3-way switches with a 3-way dimmer.

If I understand correctly, I think that in a "normal" 3-way circuit, you only replace one of the 3-ways with a 3-way dimmer; the other switch remains as a standard 3-way switch. If I'm wrong, I'm certain that a few select posters will let us know (you know who you are).

Smile Re: 4-Way (3 Location) Dimmers

Quote Originally Posted by ex_f15_ais View Post
    Over the past couple of weeks I have installed single pole and two separate three-way dimmers, one in dining room and other in master bedroom. Now my task is to install a dimmer for the family room; the challenge being there are three switch locations, and finding the appropriate dimmer or dimmers. I have not found anything about a single dimmer switch that works in a four-way circuit; but have heard about some type of master/slave multi-dimmer configuration. Adding to the dilemma, the dimmer(s) need to be rated to 1,000W; guess I need to special order as most I've seen is 600W.

Suggestions much appreciated!!

Gerry
    Gerry, there was another thread on this very same situation last summer. I PM'd the poster who suggested this on another thread and he sent me the info on it. I ended up doing exactly what he recommended and it works ideally : allows you to adjust dim control and on/off from every location and use standard wiring for a regular 4-way switch loop, not just dim from one location and on/off from the others (doesn't help much if the dimmer was dimmed to off with the old fashioned way of doing it) without having to mess with wireless remote controller problems or crazy expense and no change in existing wiring.

If you have any questions or want more let me know I can forward you the PM and info he sent to me. I didn't have any trouble sourcing the equipment. You'd use one MA1000W and two MARs for a 1000w light loop just put the MA1000 in a location by itself, doesn't matter which location (unlike a traditional dimmer 4-way switch loop where the dimmer has to be one of the commons).

This is a link to the post on the forum where the products are mentioned:
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?p=32583#post32583

Let me know if you'd like more information.