+ Reply to Thread

Default undercutting long sections of baseboard molding

I am putting an engineered hardwood quick-click floor in my bathroom which requires undercutting some lengthy baseboard moldings which are unitized to a wainscotting system and cannot be removed for easier installation. I've undercut around the door jambs with an undercut hand saw but that particular tool does not work well on longer moldings. There is also two narrow Corian moldings next to the tub that need undercutting, however my main concern is undercutting the wood.
    I can always work around the Corian somehow. Can you clue me in on a method and/or a tool that will help me get the job done?
    Thank you for your consideration in this regard.

Default Re: undercutting long sections of baseboard molding

A couple of choices.
    Go to your local tool rental and rent a Jamb undercut saw or if you want to buy a tool look at the Dremel, Fein, or Rockwell Oscillating tools. The Dremel you can find at most big box stores.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

in regards to the oscillating tool, it wouldnt be a bad idea to buy a spare wood cutting blade, based on the info youve given us you will be making long cuts, such cuts will cause the blade to heat up considerably which can greatly affect its ability to cut
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    A couple of choices.
    Go to your local tool rental and rent a Jamb undercut saw or if you want to buy a tool look at the Dremel, Fein, or Rockwell Oscillating tools. The Dremel you can find at most big box stores.
    Jack
    Thanks. I'm not familiar with the jamb undercut saw. Can it do the long sections? I've already cut under the door jambs with my undercutting hand saw. Is the jamb undercut saw different?

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    in regards to the oscillating tool, it wouldnt be a bad idea to buy a spare wood cutting blade, based on the info youve given us you will be making long cuts, such cuts will cause the blade to heat up considerably which can greatly affect its ability to cut
    Thanks for your help. I'll check it out.

there are two types of undercut saws which jack speaks of

the first one simply looks like the hand version only with a motor where the handle is, the hand version looks like a dovetail saw with a offset handle

the other type is a form of circular saw, it has much more power. the blade is paralel to the floor only kept up and 1/8 or so off the floor. it can make much larger cuts and the blade handles for more punishment
    fire up the saw and make some dust