+ Reply to Thread

Question Insulate Ducts in Basement?

I recently purchased a 5 year old home and I am on a mission to try and make it as energy efficient as possible w/o breaking the bank. My furnace is in the basement and therefore all heating ducts run across the ceiling of the basement and are uninsulated.

Would it be worth my time and expense to insulate these ducts? Since heat rises, even if they aren't insulated, I'd assume they're heating the basement slightly which would eventually help heat the house, no? Would insulating the ducts help reduce the noise of the heating system? It's somewhat noisy, although tolerable. My basement isn't finished, at least not yet. I live in Wisconsin and it's about 2 degrees outside, but the basement seems comfortable (although it's a bit on the cool side.)

There seems to be a lot of ducts, both square and round, so if I took on this project, it would take a considerable amount of time and money to complete. I don't want to go through all that work if there isn't any real gain when I'm done! Any advice you can give would be appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Todd

Default Re: Insulate Ducts in Basement?

Since it is forced air insulating the ducts in a basement really doesn't make that much of a difference .... in my opinion.
    Some heat will emit from the metal ducting as it's being warmed from the warm air being forced through ....however it does end up in the conditioned space which is a positive.

It would be more feasable to seal the joints preventing air leaking from the ducting which would reduce the amount needed else where.

As for noise reduction .... insulating the outside of the ducting won't do much for noise reduction since mostly the noise heard is usually velocity noise of the air being forced by the furnace blower.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for your input. Maybe insulating the ducts is one job I'll skip.
    Sincerely,
    Todd

I agree with Canuk. In addition, although you will have some heat still radiating from the plenum and from the first floor itself, making your basement colder could result in pipes freezing, especially near outside walls. Don't forget to seal the joints on your return also. This is done to prevent your furnace from sucking in basement contaminants, such as radon gas, etc into your home. While doing this, be sure to install a magnetic tape or duct tape over the filter slot, and change the filter once per month, maybe twice if you have pets that shed. Any noise would still transmit inside the ductwork, so you probably wouldn't gain any noise reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I recently purchased a 5 year old home and I am on a mission to try and make it as energy efficient as possible w/o breaking the bank. My furnace is in the basement and therefore all heating ducts run across the ceiling of the basement and are uninsulated.

Would it be worth my time and expense to insulate these ducts? Since heat rises, even if they aren't insulated, I'd assume they're heating the basement slightly which would eventually help heat the house, no? Would insulating the ducts help reduce the noise of the heating system? It's somewhat noisy, although tolerable. My basement isn't finished, at least not yet. I live in Wisconsin and it's about 2 degrees outside, but the basement seems comfortable (although it's a bit on the cool side.)

There seems to be a lot of ducts, both square and round, so if I took on this project, it would take a considerable amount of time and money to complete. I don't want to go through all that work if there isn't any real gain when I'm done! Any advice you can give would be appreciated.