+ Reply to Thread

Default Need to Improve Cellar/Basement

We recently bought a 1940's house in Nashville. Our basement/cellar houses our furnace and water heater and is only accessible from the outside. We have no intentions of even trying to make it livable, but would like to clean it up, install some insulation as well as water protection, and put wires, etc. in a more streamlined order. Looking for ways to do so on a do-it-yourself budget as well as any other general suggestions. I have included some pictures to kind of give you an idea of some areas I would like to improve (sorry, some are a little blurry)

1. We have drywall, yes drywall, nailed to many parts of the cellar ceiling. Some has insulation behind it. I plan on taking all drywall down. Does anyone have suggestions for insulation in a wet area?
    2. Heating/cooling ducts are the flexible variety. I would like to upgrade them and fit ducts possibly between the beams. At the very least I would like to get rid of the current ducts. Suggestions for that would be much appreciated. (there is a picture of the outbound and return ducts)
    3. Electrical wires and coaxial cables are running every-which-way. I have started to take down some of the coaxial cables and would like to keep wires and cables in better condition. Suggestions for doing so? Should I just hire an electrician to take care of the electrical wires?

Any other basic suggestions on cleaning up this mess? Any suggestions on ideas for the ground so that every time I head down I down bring up a load of mud with me? Thank you for all your input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00935.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	3691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00936.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	3692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00943.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	3693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00938.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	3694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00942.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	3695