+ Reply to Thread

Default marks on vaulted ceiling

I have a vaulted ceiling and I can clearly see dark marks where the Roof studs are. They seem to be showing more where the ceiling meets the wall but some areas are all the way from wall to wall. Any ideas what this is from.Is it possible my roof is leaking or is it just a cheap paint job on the ceiling?

Default Re: marks on vaulted ceiling

photo would help. Burn allot of candles? have a gas insert with out the flu open?

I have seen this on several houses where the drywall is attached directly to the rafters in a vaulted ceiling. The rafters are colder than the insulated spaces in-between in the winter and dust and dirt likely mixed with a little condensation sticks to these colder areas. You could try cleaning the areas which will help for a while but the dirt will return in the colder months. I would think the only way to prevent this would be to provide a thermal break between the rafters and drywall such as through rigid insulation place under the rafters and then the drywall on that. Of course that would be a major undertaking that probably isn't worth it. Perhaps an air purifier in that room may help the situation too. Hope this answers your question.

Mike

Thank you both as for candles, no we don't and no to the firplace as well. The marks are along the whole length of the wall. Here are some pics to help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0030.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	3699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0031.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	3700  

Hi, thanks for the photos. I was thinking you might have soot accumulation on the ceiling but after the photos it's not soot.
    Have you a humidifier on the furnace? Consider not adding the moisture in the winter. Are you in a cold climate? Consider investigating the air flow in the attic above the ceiling . There should be 2" of air space above the insulation between each sissier trusses. At the eve or soffit there needs to be a vent for each truss bay- amusing there is no attic space above the insulation. If the ventilation is not adequate the n condensation can cause this issue. The stains easily resolved with Kills white primer sealer , i would get a couple of spray cans as it has a strong odor and hard to apply with a brush but works great by spray can.The paint however does not stop future condensation issues.

I would concurr. The marks you see are caused by variations in the insulation. The colder areas are dampened with condensation and therefore attract airborn dirt. Were this ceiling over a bath, you would probably see water streaks running down the ceiling! Ultimately, better insulation would be the best cure, but expensive.

I would be somewhat concerned that airborn moisture is not working its way into the ceiling cavities. Is there a vapor barrier behind the drywall? If not , I would consider priming the entire ceiling with a primer that has a high "perm" rating. Such primers are available at good paint stores. They act as vapor barriers. I would then finish coat it with a high quality, low sheen paint, rather than the typical "ceiling" paint.

The other contributors are correct. You should keep the humidity down in winter. An electronic furnace filter might help also.

The problem is called "ghosting". As Ordjen described, the wall framing has less insulative value than insulation, so the joists are colder which attract condensation which attracts dust and dirt.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Another variation on this problem is where you will see small dark dots in the ceiling. This is where the metal drywall screws or nails are located. Metal transmits cold hundreds of times better than wood or drywall and therefore forms a tiny cold spot in on your ceiling or walls.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Another variation on this problem is where you will see small dark dots in the ceiling. This is where the metal drywall screws or nails are located. Metal transmits cold hundreds of times better than wood or drywall and therefore forms a tiny cold spot in on your ceiling or walls.
    Now you're just being a smar-T-pants!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!