+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saber Saw

Smile Saber Saw

What is the best and easiest way to cut a 10 1/2" circle usig 3/8 inch plywood and my saber saw? What would be the best type of blade?

Default Re: Saber Saw

Use a strip of plywood to make a circle cutting trammel to attach to your saber saw.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Uh Jack ... That's a router ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Looks like a saber saw to me, oh wait my bad

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Uh Jack ... That's a router ...
    That just goes to show how much you know. It happens to be a Chinese made, left handed, Polish, non reciprocating, rotary saber saw recently featured on TOH. It comes in a kit that includes an NFL jersey and a pair of Jordan Nikes.

Jack.
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 07-07-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Question Re: Saber Saw

pleas everyone be serious.

I need info for a Saber Saw

A saber saw is not capable of cutting exact circles in and of itself, or even with the aid of a jig, as the router radius jig pictured above. The result you get with a saber saw is dependent on both the precision of the pattern line and your skill in following said line. Your circles will be more or less wobbly. Cut as best you can, leaving the line, and then use a disc sander.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Just to be clear, by saber saw are you referring to a jigsaw or a sawzall type saw? A jigsaw will be as accurate as your patience and eye/hand coordination will allow. A sawzall will be very unruly and result in a very wavy cut.

How perfect does the circle need to be? If it's got to be perfect, then I'd cut wide of the line and suggest setting up a belt sander and jig similar to the one Jack posted with a stop so that you can sand right down to the line and no further for the entire circumference of the circle.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Although I prefer a router and trammel (circle cutting jig) you can cut a near perfect circle with a properly made circle cutting jig and your saber saw if you allow the blade to cut and don't force the movement.

Cut a piece of plywood or use a straight board about 4"wide and about 18" long, draw a center line down the board. (see drawing) Drill a hole larger than the blade and slightly of center. Set the saw on the jig and align the it so the front of the blade is in line with the centerline and fasten the saw to the board. Measure from the blade to 10" along the center line and drill a small hole just a bit larger than nail you will use as a pivot point. You can now set the circle jig on the plywood and tap a nail in the pivot point. You are ready to go.
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trammel.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	3698  

Thanks Jack.

Sounds good to me.