+ Reply to Thread

Default Hot second floor

My basement is cool, main floor is OK but the second floor is really hot. I assume I will need to install an attic fan. Once I have the attic cooled down how do I remove the hot air from the second floor
    Thanks

Default Re: Hot second floor

Hi first check the amount of insulation you have in the attic may need to have some more blown in. The whole house attic exhaust fans can help suck out the hot air. We turn ours on and crack a window in the basement in 15 minutes the upstairs is much cooler. Another item might be installing the foil radiant heat film barrier to the attic rafters it is very low cost and reduces the temp in the attic .

Do you have returns in each room or at least on each floor? If you only have one it would be best if it were on the second floor at the top of the stairway. You have to get the heat out otherwise your just pumping cold air and mixing it with hot.

[QUOTE=Sten; You have to get the heat out otherwise your just pumping cold air and mixing it with hot.[/QUOTE]

Hi, is this not how air conditioning works? The returns - a pressure reduction to allow the cold air to flow into the room an mix with the existing air?

Hey Tim, the supplies will give you the cold air but you have to get the hot humid air out which is what the returns do. The condensate drain or pump if that is what you use is actually getting the humid air out in water form after it condenses on the Evap coil. If you have no returns your just mixing cold air with hot, this is why you have to have at least as much return air as supply, more won't hurt.