+ Reply to Thread

Default Small Appliance Circuit - Shared Neutral

Hello All,

I have a series of 9 receptacles in a kitchen as follows:

Main Circuit Panel === 3 wire NM cable ==> Receptacle #1 == 3 wire NM cable ==> Receptacle #2 .... and so on.

Basically, I have 3 wire cable between each receptacle expect between the 8th and 9th receptacle where I ran only a two-wire cable. I plan on having the odd number receptacles connected to the "black" circuit and the even number receptacles connected to the "red" circuit. Is there a way I can GFI protect all receptacles using only two GFI receptacles at receptacle #1 and #2 or must I install a GFI at every receptacle?

Thank you all for responses.

Regards,

Chris

Default Re: Small Appliance Circuit - Shared Neutral

Please provide more details regarding the 'yes' to #1. Namely, how is the Line and Load on the GFIs wired to avoid tripping with the shared neutral.

Thanks,

Chris

Default Small Appliance Circuit - Shared Neutral

hai everybody i am new member, i want to know to more about this....................

Default Re: Small Appliance Circuit - Shared Neutral

Quote Originally Posted by christech View Post
    Please provide more details regarding the 'yes' to #1. Namely, how is the Line and Load on the GFIs wired to avoid tripping with the shared neutral.

Thanks,

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by christech View Post
    Hello All,

I have a series of 9 receptacles in a kitchen as follows:

Main Circuit Panel === 3 wire NM cable ==> Receptacle #1 == 3 wire NM cable ==> Receptacle #2 .... and so on.

Basically, I have 3 wire cable between each receptacle expect between the 8th and 9th receptacle where I ran only a two-wire cable. I plan on having the odd number receptacles connected to the "black" circuit and the even number receptacles connected to the "red" circuit. Is there a way I can GFI protect all receptacles using only two GFI receptacles at receptacle #1 and #2 or must I install a GFI at every receptacle?

Thank you all for responses.

Regards,

Chris
    GFCI receptacles monitor the differnetial imbalance of current between the the hot and neutral of the "load" side of the internal GFCI circuit not the "line" side.

By wiring a GFCI receptacle at the beginning of the circuit all the devices downstream would be wired to the "load" side of the GFCI.
    Having the "black" supplying #1 with all the odd numbered downstream outlets feed from the "load" will have common neutrals ( so to speak ) that's referenced to #1.

Same thing with the " red " supply feeding the even numbered receptacles.

With shared neutral supplies --- if there are different current draws --- say 5 amps on the "black" and 4 amps on the "red" there's an imbalance between the two and a net difference of 1 amp with respect to the shared neutral --- but that's on the supply side ( "line" )

As long as there is no differential imbalance seen by the GFCI between the hot and neutral on the "load" side then there is no fault.

Hopefully this makes sense and helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush