+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement wall insulation

We're finishing our basement here in Wisconsin (Obviously very cold winters, humid summers) and the studs are up, electrical is in place and now it's time to get insulation estimates. Have been reading a TON of info about sprayfoam insulation (both closed cell and open cell), particularly Icynene and Corebond. Have read that each have pluses and minuses, and I understand almost all of them but now I'm wondering now if I should go with something else instead. Wondering what the experts prefer between the two I've mentioned or should I be thinking about something else instead. I have three boys under 6 so health concerns and possible application concerns have made me nervous about Corebond even though it seals tighter but from what I read you don't WANT it completely tight in the basement walls so I was leaning towards the "greener" product in Icynene which of course is much cheaper and from waht I've read, if you want insulation in ABOVE ground walls, Corebond is preferrable but in the basement, Icynene is preferrable. Personally I'm leaning towards the Icynene for cost and because it does let at least a TINY amount of airflow through but I figured I better ask on a neutral site like this that doesn't already have a "dog in the fight"

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be forever in your debt. Or if I should even go in a different direction than the two mentioned and why.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Basement wall insulation

Well thanks anyway. I spoke with a highly respected home builder and friend of the family in the area tonight and he highly recommends blown in cellulose so I'll be going that route.

Thanks anyway.......