+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Outdoor Kitchen 20X24

Hello all,

I am new here and looking for help.

My health is not the best and I plan to move near my daughter. My son in law (the best ever) said I can move on their property. 3 acres.

I plan to build an outdoor kitchen and live in it. When I am gone it will be the kids outdoor kitchen. 20W X 24L. On a slab.

I will have a 20X10 ft front porch which will face the back of their house.

I am having a shed built so all the extra things I like (canvas, sewing supplies and so forth....) can be stored there, also the deep freezer and the washer and dryer.

I would love some help in the floor plans.

A small bath room with shower, pedistal lavotary, and handicap toilet.

A small, very functional kitchen. Hopefully a pantry. All bottom cabinets will be drawers (easy access).

My bed which is a twin adjustable bed will be in the living area.

I need something small and easy to clean as old Arthur Itis(arthritis) is taking over.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Home_Maker

Default Re: Outdoor Kitchen 20X24

I am not sure I understand your question.

But hopefully the bath will not take up more than 4X6 and the kitchen will be open into the living area. Maybe, about 9X10.

The bath will be the only part closed with a door.

Bath and kitchen across the back and the front as the living area.

My shed will be 16X24 and hold all extra. Even clothes not in season. All large items used only in special occasions. All canvas's and art supplies.

I will draw a plan and let you help me decide what to do.

Thanks so much for responding.

Home_maker

Red face Re: Outdoor Kitchen 20X24

This is a suggestion.

I did this with Picture IT.

Any suggestions?

I put the windows in the corners so the furniture would
    not be in front of the windows.

Please any one have any ideas?

Home_Maker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D's favorite Kitchen plan 6.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	3710  

I love the way you outlined this for me. I am adding question mark, so you can changed my mine if it needs changing.
    Thanks so much for responding.
    Remember this will be an outdoor kitchen when I am gone.

1. Run the line from the bar through to the bookcase as a straight line.

I need to do this on scale so I will know where to place everything.

2. Move the window from the left side of the range and use it for cabinets.

I need a window on the north side to have cross ventilation.???? I live in Louisiana, the hottest state in the union. SMILE. I love to open my house in Spring and Fall and let the air flow through it.??? Will the house look odd with no window on one side??? As the bedroom is narrow and the bathroom has no windwo????

3. Leave at least enough room for a nightstand next to the bed for a lamp and book/clock etc.

My sister and I built a sewing closet in my present bedroom. At desk height we put a leaf like a leaf on a table. I put the whatcha macallit to pull out and keep the leaf out while sewing and then push the wood back into the holder and as the leaf is on hinges it folds down. Well if you notice the closet in the bedroom space will all be open. No doors. I will have a shelf that will fold out at night for glasses and book and when needed I can let it fold down. ????

4. Why no windows on the west side? The evening light would seem a benefit.

We have such hot summers I was avoiding the heat from the West and the Sun. ???

5. I would want a window in the sleeping room. Ventilation if nothing else.

I am getting older and may be afraid when my children are not home. So no windows where they are not needed. ????

6. Will it be built over a crawl space? You need to consider heating and a water heater.

No crawl space. On a slab.???? Heat a floor unit. Hot water heater in my back yard on a small slab. That is what I have now and I love that it is not in my house.????

7. Laundry?

In my shed with the freezer. Just a few steps from my door. We are putting industrial fabric down and then small limestone. To cover any areas we need to walk on after a rain.
    My present house has two small patches of grass in the front yard and the rest uis covered with industrial fabric and the tiny limestone to cover. It has been down 2 years and I don't have one complaint. No mowing, no mud, no water. My yard is fantastic. So the new one will be also.

Everyone who has come to see my house as it is for sale, loves the yard and the fact that no mowing, no mud and no water standing after a rain. No wet grass. Love it.

Home_Maker
    Last edited by Home_maker; 07-13-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: not finished

To save a little money, you might consider moving the lavatory and toilet to the other side of the bathroom, and the kitchen sink behind the pantry so you only have one wet wall. Split the bookcase in half and put one on each side of a center bathroom door.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 07-13-2010 at 08:58 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Dead Short, You are correct. We do like our windows over the sink. It is were I can see my great grandson playing on my porch. SMILE.

105 -110 is hot and we have so humidity from the Gulf. Probably need to look and see is we have oil sheen on our trees. SMILE

I do have AC. A unit in the west wall. I will have a computer cabinet built over it to hide it when not in use.

One of the worst winters we have had was last winter. And that just meant several days of cold weather and a few more days of freezing.

Our winters usually include lots of warmth and sunshine with a couple of days 32. If it snows it melts as soon as it hits the ground. Last year we had 4 snow days in one winter. That broke a record for us. June, July, Aug and Sept it is hot, hot, hot.

Thanks for responding.

Home Maker

To save a little money, you might consider moving the lavatory and toilet to the other side of the bathroom, and the kitchen sink behind the pantry so you only have one wet wall. Split the bookcase in half and put one on each side of a center bathroom door.
    JL Mcdaniel,

I need the door to one side of the bathroom so a wheel chair will fit into the bathroom. And I don't want to take any space out of the pantry. I love a pantry. I love to cook and have lots of large pots and pans and lots of electric gadgets and they need to be stored somewhere. Beside all the veggies I buy and need to store.

My daughter raises a big gardena and I help her can. Bread and butter pickles, chow chow, rotel tomatoes, squash, corn. We can always use the extra shelves for canned goods.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

I am reading and will consider each one.

Home Maker

*** Thats a great idea!!!! An outdoor kitchen.

I suggest some resin bound pavingfor this area because it is easy to maintain, hardwearing and comes with a 10 year guaruntee.
    Fred Hidden Content

Love Hidden Content from Jones & Co

Hi everybody, I am a new member just joined the
    community to share my knowledge with others..........................thank u