+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deck Footings

Hybrid View

Default Deck Footings

I am building a deck around a pool. The deck will not be attached to the house. Should the posts be in the concrete footing or on top of the footing. In the past I have always places posts in the concrete but I am told this is not correct. My concern is will the deck have too much movement if the posts are not in the cement.

Default Re: Deck Footings

the posts should sit on the footings, however by code they no longer can simply just sit on top because they can kick out. you will need to imbed post anchors into the concrete. this can be done one of two ways, once the tubes have been filled let the concrete set for 30 minutes or so then set the anchors into the concrete and align them so they will all be runnning square.

the other option is to wait for the concrete to fully cure then drill 1/2" holes into the concrete with a sds hammer, blow out all the dust then get some two part epoxy that hilti sells, put some of this into the holes then set the anchors into this

when your ready to frame, set your 6x6's and fasten them to the anchor with joist hanger nails or screws. fill every hole in the anchor
    fire up the saw and make some dust