+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6 panel doors

Default 6 panel doors

The stiles on my 6 panel doors have separated (become un-glued) from the cross menbers and now because of the gaps this has created the doors will not close without jamming them.
    This condition has appeared before. Five years ago I re-glued all the gaps (8 on each door) on both sides of the door and clamped the doors until the glue dried. I am now looking for a more permanent fix. I am 72 yrs. old and don't want to do this again. I was thinking of securing the cross members by re-clamping the doors to bring the stiles and cross members back together and then screwing in 6" long screws from the door edges to hold them in place. Is this advisable? If so how should I go about it? Should I pre-drill each hole? What size drill? What size screw? What type screw? Should the screws be longer? Shorter? If this is not a good approach, can anyone out there make a recommendation? Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Default Re: 6 panel doors

Your plan sounds about right. I would still glue the doors with a good quality wood glue. Try to glue the tenons too.
    The screw holes will have to be pre-drilled. The choice of screw size will be limited. I would use a screw long enough to bite into the rail by an inch or two. You might want to countersink the screws so the holes can be plugged or filled. I would probably use a deck screw if you can find them long enough. Over bore the first part of the hole until you get to the wood you are drilling into.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Your plan sounds about right. I would still glue the doors with a good quality wood glue. Try to glue the tenons too.
    The screw holes will have to be pre-drilled. The choice of screw size will be limited. I would use a screw long enough to bite into the rail by an inch or two. You might want to countersink the screws so the holes can be plugged or filled. I would probably use a deck screw if you can find them long enough. Over bore the first part of the hole until you get to the wood you are drilling into.
    Thanks for your reply. Appreciate your help. You appear to be quite professional on the subject. Your answer seems to be the type reply I would get from either Norm Abram or Tom Silva.
    It's good to know that I'm on the right track. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by InMyRoom View Post
    Why don't you install a new one?
    Too costly and time consuming. The problem is on 7 doors.

I'm afraid that putting screws in from the side is going to do little good. You would be screwing into end grain. If the tenons are long enough, put some glue on them clamp the doors and put dowel pins through the the stiles and the tenons to pin them together.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I tightened (and held) one of my 1905 4-panel doors with a bessey clamp and Timberlock screws driven at a 45* angle through the top rail into the stiles. Had they been available at the time, I'd have used the flat-shouldered "head-lock" style of Timberlock, which is less likely to start a split. They need a 1/4" pilot hole, as they are large structural fasteners.
    Clamping and driving the joint tight is crucial. Going down at an angle avoids visible holes in the sides of the stiles.
    S_M
    Last edited by Sombreuil_mongrel; 07-09-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spellin'
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I'm afraid that putting screws in from the side is going to do little good. You would be screwing into end grain. If the tenons are long enough, put some glue on them clamp the doors and put dowel pins through the the stiles and the tenons to pin them together.

Jack
    Thanks for your input Jack. Your solution sounds great. How can I tell how long the tenons are? The widest gap is about 3/16".
    What size dowel pin do you think would be best? The doors are approx. 1 1/4" thick.

The ones in my old door are about 3/8" dia. and the center of the hole is about 3/4" in from the rail stile joint.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb