+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ceiling swing

Default ceiling swing

I am a occupational therapist and I treat kids in private practice. One of my main Sensory tools require that a swing be attached to the ceiling. I purchased a 2 x 6 kit from a therapy company to to reinforce the eye bolt that will attach to the supended equipment. (www.southpawenterprises.com) When I open up the ceiling I discovered that this part of the house was 2 x 4 construction. My contrator went ahead and installed the unit which which has a load bearing capacity of 500 lbs. My question is,.. Is the 2 x 4 strong enough to support a swing that will be used to provide linear, rotational and orbital swinging for kids that weigh roughly 20 to 80 lbs max??? FYI my landlord said that the ceiling construction was probably 2 x 4 because it was a second floor addition and their is not a second level above just a roof

Default Re: ceiling swing

All I can say is that I've made provisions for such a swing in room labeled Occupational Therapy in an elementary school, so I don't doubt your intentions or motives. I fortunately had the services of an engineer and a steel structure to attach it to.
    In spite of the rant, consulting an engineer and the manufacturer would be prudent. If you have 2x4 trusses or rafters, spreading the load across a number of members as well as additional reinforcing should be possible.
    I too am busy, so unfortunately I don't have time to review the website or take time jump to conclusions or devise any insults.
    God bless you and the work you do with children.

First let me apologize for your first contact being our resident Googleist who has failed to provide any credentials at all.

The 2X4 is not strong enough, especially considering the shock loads it may be subject to. Depending on the width of the room, you could have steel or larger wood cross member installed . Considering the lumber currently available, I wouldn't want my livelihood dependent on marginal at best. Considering the liability involved, I would suggest you get a contractor who knows what he is doing to do the installation.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I appreciate your responses. Still don't appreciate the sarcasm. However after teasing through the angry contractor comments and usefull information it appears that perhaps I should have investigated the installation more closely. I was just following advice from other therapists that have had similiar installations with good results. Another therapist recommonded I use UNISTRUT. As per the therapist this is a long track that can be installed and have numerous eyebolts attached and can be repositoned. Why would the manual have the
    2x4 illustration as an option if it is not a reliable one? DIY.com has another way of installing the swing that is much simpler than what was suggested to me and does not seem as safe according to your recommendation.

Thank you JLM. The room is approximately 11 x 7 and has a vaulted ceiling (another wrench in our plans) This room was our first choice because it is the second adjoining room. The first room is 11 x 11. the size of this room is better, especially for rotational activities. This room has a second floor above it. Would this be a better option??? If, so I would have to have an electrician remove the large ceiling fan in the middle and probaly install recessed lighting so that I can install the swing in the center of the room. All suggestions are welcomed. I just signed the lease a month ago and I am really concerned that I may not be able to use the space as originally intended

Quote Originally Posted by wchavez View Post
    i am almost ashamed to respond to your reponse...The trellus kit requires roof access....i mentioned before that the room only has a 2 x 4 ceiling frame and the roof on top of that...that is why i did not comment on that suggestion because I thought you realized that. The trellis is not an option in either room....Cyber bully??? I asked a question you passed judgement....I hope you or anyone you know never has to deal first hand with ASD or SID to fully appreciate the professional services our profession provides...
    on behalf of some of the regulars to this forum I would like to appologize for the treatment from this particular individual. we all have to deal with people who read a little and think they understand everything. I'm sure you deal with like individuals in your field as well. at times it makes you feel ashamed to have your company name on the same forum as posters like that. and hope you understand that some of the advice you are given has been from individuals who have a better understanding of the issues involved.
    this individual will claim to have experience in almost every field and will go to great lengths including attacks to defend them selves. especially when someone disagrees with them. so please don't let this poster throw you off balance.
    Last edited by havanagranite; 12-22-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    on behalf of some of the regulars to this forum I would like to appologize for the treatment from this particular individual. we all have to deal with people who read a little and think they understand everything. I'm sure you deal with like individuals in your field as well. at times it makes you feel ashamed to have your company name on the same forum as posters like that. and hope you understand that some of the advice you are given has been from individuals who have a better understanding of the issues involved.
    this individual will claim to have experience in almost every field and will go to great lengths including attacks to defend them selves. especially when someone disagrees with them. so please don't let this poster throw you off balance.
    Havana's posts are spot on. There are construction pros here that will offer some great ideas, it may just take a little time.

Why the folks at toh do not deal with this poster is beyond me.

Yes, a cyber bully with serious mental problems....... Either will not deal with, or has no medical coverage, or desire for mental help. ( You find that with Sociopaths .)

The poster has no hands on, or contractor experience.... Only google. Not a contractor or anyone with any real life experience in construction............. The poster made me ashamed to be here as well.

Bless you in and on your journey.

If you need some help with Unistrut products I can help

You might want to consider a different approach. Because this is a rented facility and any modification would require landowner's approval and may require you to undo when you are a little more successful and move to a larger facility, you might consider having a bolt together structure similar to this motor hoist so you can easily have it taken down and moved to any new facility you move to. Of course proper spread of the legs will have to be made.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 12-22-2008 at 08:27 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Whackarat View Post
    Why the folks at toh do not deal with this poster is beyond me.
    They have , multiple times . She just keeps coming back under a new screen name . Right now she is posting under three ( or more ) identities . Blue Ridge Parkway , Fencepost ,
    Gray Watson and probably others . All equally insulting to other members and new posters .

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    you might consider having a bolt together structure similar to this motor hoist so you can easily have it taken down and moved to any new facility you move to. Of course proper spread of the legs will have to be made.
    Jack
    Dang you Jack, I was gonna suggest that very thing!

Whackarat, this approach would be far simpler and cheaper than trying to modify the building. Welcome to TOH, most of us are friendly and helpful, just ignore those who aren't.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!