+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Can Light to Pendant

I have a 6" can light above our vanity in the bathroom I am remodeling. I want to change this can light out for a pendant light. The problem is that all the pendants I have found have very small trim rings so they would not cover the original 6" hole left when removing the can light. Any suggestions as to how to either fill this in or reduce the opening so it will look smooth? Also, should I use a "pancake" box in the new opening and how would it be best to affix the pancake in the oening?

Default Re: Can Light to Pendant

I assume you are just trying to install a normal pendant?

The best way to do this is with a recessed - pendant conversion kit, since they are specially designed to cover the 6" hole. They also don't need any wiring, instead just connecting to the screw fitting. So if you decide in 2 years that you want to go back to the recessed light, it's a simple case of removing the pendant, replacing the trim and putting in a bulb.

Edit, I just realized that you already removed the can. Unfortunate. In that case I see two options -

1. Cut the hole square, to reach joists on either side. Install new work ceiling box. The size is determined by code - look up 'electrical box fill count' on Google. Then patch the drywall, paint and install your pendant.

2. Use a decorative board, routed at the edges to cover the hole and reach joists on either end. Then cut a hole in the middle and use a remodel ceiling box, again sized according to code. Fill nail holes and paint your trim board, then install pendant.

I'd go with option 1, personally. If you are installing a line of pendants, option 2 might look natural enough to be the easier option. It'll depend on your preference for drywall vs. trim carpentry I guess!

Note that I'm not an electrician or a contractor of any sort. Just a guy that likes to tinker on his house.
    Last edited by DougLanglois; 07-06-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Missed information.