+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing individual siding panels

I'm in the process of prepping my 1946 home for repainting and although ultimately replacing the fiberboard siding would be ideal ($$$), we're doing our best to sand down irregularities and lines from remaining paint layers. This is going ok in some areas, but it seems that some panels should just be replaced. I'm looking for any advice on replacing individual panels like this and what material I ought to use to keep costs down but not use junk. Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Replacing individual siding panels

It's not clear what kind of siding you have now.

It is my recommendation that you change the siding like for like until such time as you can reside the entire house. Another option would be to change the siding on one whole side to whatever you want and salvage as much of the existing siding to repair the rest of the house. As time and money come available to continue residing, do another section.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the suggestion. I currently have a lapboard masonite siding, probably original (1946). I gather it's possible though difficult to extract individual boards for replacement. Perhaps too difficult are you saying to be worth it? It's turning out to be a bigger project that we first anticipated!

From your original description it sounded like you had 4x8 panels that you were trying to change out to a different type of panel or siding.

If you can find a reasonable match, then by all means, extract the offending pieces and replace them. Check out actual lumber and building suppliers who will have a broader range of products as well as likely have a means of finding what you need. The typical Big Box only carries what they can get cheaply and are not a good place for old style materials, service, or selection.

When you visit a lumber yard, take a sample of your siding with you and see what they have available and have them check their catalogs for something similar. If you can get something similar, you can replace an entire row and salvage what you can of the original for repairing other areas.

Changing out one piece of lap siding isn't impossible, though it is a bit of work. For pieces you're not trying to save all it takes is a cats paw and hammer to remove the nails. For pieces you're trying to salvage, you'll need to work the pieces loose gently with a flat bar until you can get a hold of the nail head and pull it without damage to the siding.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!