+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question 107 yr old fir boards

I have about 2000 sq ft of 107 yr old fir flooring taken out of my Great Grandfather's general store. It was treated with linseed oil yr after yr and now I'm trying to re-purpose the wood. I have tried sanding it, but just get a gunky build-up on the sandpaper in no time. I don't have access to a planer (that would be too easy!) I tried stripper on a few boards but with so many board-feet, I just don't have the energy. If I give it a light sanding will new oil based stain penetrate? Thank you for any help any of you can offer
    Last edited by reneeh52; 07-04-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Default Re: 107 yr old fir boards

How does the non oil side look? could use the bottom and avoid having to remove the build up.

Thanks for answering Timothy. To my great chagrin, most boards were not taken out very carefully and there is damage to the bottoms: splitting, rips, hammer dents and holes. I did think of that as I pulled about 20 lbs of original nails from all the boards, but the underside is questionable at best on most boards.

Hi too bad bottoms are marred. You might try a test with mineral spirits and a rag see if wiping will remove the buildup. Be sure not to put the used rags in a confined area as you do not want a fire... Consider contacting a wood flooring contractor for suggestions too.