+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I install semi-recessed copper sink in Granite?

I have an existing rough hole 13x11 in 3cm granite
    I bought a semi-recessed copper sink with a 1.5" high apron. Bowl does not rest against the 13x11 hole - only thing touching is the ~17 guage couple milimeter thick apron lip.

Would very much like to know how to attach to counter. So far the only information I have is to run a bead of adhesive caulk where the apron touches granite. I'm beginning to be concerned that it might not be possible.

Default Re: How do I install semi-recessed copper sink in Granite?

looks to be peacock or butterfly granite?

generally with this type of sink they are simply caulked into place. there is more strength there then what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    looks to be peacock or butterfly granite?

generally with this type of sink they are simply caulked into place. there is more strength there then what you think.
    yes.. peacock. (was to be blue butterfly....but there was a mistake)

Just a bead of caulk on the back side of the apron lip?
    Any caulk in particular?
    The caulk I've been shown - you can bend and rip away quite easily if there is a small surface.
    I've been reading vague descriptions of a wood frame undercounter with an exact cutout of the bowl then caulked as well as the apron lip. Or for the cutout to be an exact match (too late) and caulked. I've also been told to cut wood to fit the inside of the lip in various (ie, 4) locations then caulk those to the surface of the granite.
    So this is rather making me worried as much more than it's fair share has gone wrong with the remodel (kitchen/livingroom/part of one bath)

it has a flat rim and my first thought is that it is supposed to be UNDERMOUNT, but maybe it was made to drop mount but doesn't have a rolled rim or an overflow so doesn't look standard in that regard. From the looks of the hole in your countertop (links) that doesn't seem to be an option unless you get a fabricator out there to fix the mess.

so is the outside raised apron edge sitting on top of the granite, and the vessle wall itself up nearly against the edge of the granite hole sides or is the hole too large now and the sink is sliding around in the hole?

didn't the sink vessle come with a ring that goes on the countertop before you drop the sink on? (that firms up and supports the trim rim) or was this just supposed to rest slightly recessed like a smaller hole cut then the top edge routered like a platform to hold it? because it seems like a you're looking to do a DROP IN sink mount the way i'm reading your posts, not sure what the semi-recessed statement (title of post) is supposed to be referring to.

who made the sink? was the copper coated? what do the sink installation instructions say?
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-21-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    so is the outside raised apron edge sitting on top of the granite, and the vessle wall itself up nearly against the edge of the granite hole sides or is the hole too large now and the sink is sliding around in the hole?
    This is meant to sit 1.5" above granite slab and bowl extends through slab (bowl is ~5.5" deep). I was assured this works (by Native Trails, By Expo (owned by Home Depot) By three others and by the people I bought the sink from
    -- after recieving, looking at sink and asking specifics - not a single place that had assured me it works - would tell me HOW to make it work.

[QUOTE=didn't the sink vessle come with a ring that goes on the countertop before you drop the sink on? (that firms up and supports the trim rim) or was this just supposed to rest slightly recessed like a smaller hole cut then the top edge routered like a platform to hold it? because it looks like a DROP IN sink to me.
    [/QUOTE]

No hardware, no install instructions, nothing.

[QUOTE=who made the sink? was the copper coated? what do the sink installation instructions say?[/QUOTE]

generic made in mexico and isn't coated.......... no instructions.

For what it's suppose to look like when mounted:
    http://nativetrails.net/lavatory_12.htm

But again - nobody, including those who make the sinks will tell me how to mount them.
    Seems more than a little ridiculous.

it doesn't have an overflow does it?

this is what is called a semi recessed, but basically installs the same as a top mount. and blue with these copper sinks there isn't an overflow, though I agree with you I like sinks with an over flow better. but they don't come with these copper sinks. and the sinks you are thinking of that come with a ring for them to sit on is a vessel sink.

river I use a silicone laytex caulk. it has the strength of silicone but is water clean up. and the way I install them is to put the bead of caulk down then set the sink into the caulk. don't be skimpy with the caulk. then taking a wet rag wipe the caulk on the outside so that you leave a nice pretty bead. don't try to wipe it all off with this type of sink.

and by the way the fact that you got peacock instead of butterfly really isn't a surprise. they are both very close and in a dark warehouse can be hard to tell the difference with certain pieces. I have gotten the wrong ones from suppliers on those two from certain suppliers who don't barcode their stock. and they are both in the same price range so its not like you got a lesser quality granite.

The granite was same design - but I was suppose to get the more expensive Blue butterfly - it's the next higher grade than green butterfly/peacock. I was also to get 1/2 bullnose on kitchen and bath - but got that 1/4 diagonal (cheap) cut instead - by the time I caught it, it was too late.

Anyway - thanks for the info with the caulk - if I use silicone, not caring about water cleanup when installing - it would be better seal and longevity, right? Also you are saying that after I wipe up the outside - some of the sealer should be visable?