+ Reply to Thread

Thread: window flashing

Default window flashing

Can you tell me the manufacturer of the clear plastic window flahing Tommy used in episode 2809 at the bensonwood factory to weather proof the window?

Default Re: window flashing

Quote Originally Posted by ddmaine View Post
    Can you tell me the manufacturer of the clear plastic window flahing Tommy used in episode 2809 at the bensonwood factory to weather proof the window?
    I think you meant episode 2808.

They used the (Huber) Advantec Zip system (membrane tape for window pans) I believe because I don't recall seeing a rainwall on that wall;

and regarding that clear plastic backdam/window pan:

the "proprietary" (I recall they only said that Bensonwood "prefers to use this proprietary window pan" or something to that effect, they didn't identify it further) two piece clear window pan/backdam was a (Dow) WEATHERMATE (TM) Sill Pan.

This is of course if you're referring to This Old House episode 2808 Weston Project where Tom and Kevin were back at the Bensonwood factory and Tom was demonstrating how to weatherstrip and install an Andersen Window in one of the SIP wall panels back at the factory. The Clear two piece window pan/backdam that Tom installed on a bead of caulk overtop of the membrane pan "flashing" was the Dow Weathermate (tm) Sill Pan.

For whatever reason TOH chose not to identify these materials, and although Bensonwood's site does mention Dow as one of the suppliers, they too didn't identify this particular material. Dow's PR department did however, and this was (the identification and use of the Dow Weathermate(tm) Sill Pan) confirmed.

Hope that helps.