+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation transplanting rose when not healthy....

I have read enough to know that fall or early spring are the best times to transplant rose bushes, but I have another detail to add to the mix.
    Ten years ago, when first moving to our current home, I was delighted to find a climbing rose bush out back. The first bloom season following our arrival was spectacular, with so many blooms that the long canes bowed under the weight! I had never seen anything so beautiful! However, in the next few following years, I watched this magnificent bush become sick to the point that it was dug up, discarded & replaced with a new one.
    The replacement was a thornless variety called Zephrin Drouhin. I was told this was a particularly disease resistant, hearty rose. Long story short; It is suffering in the same manner as the previous rose. After many attempts to treat the bush, I have decided that for whatever reason, it is the spot in which it is planted that is the problem. Naturally, I want to move the plant to a different area. Do I need to wait until fall or move it now? Is there anything special I should do if moving it now?
    I am anxiously awaiting your reply! Thanks, Beth in Kentucky

Default Re: transplanting rose when not healthy....

I wouldn't risk moving a diseased bush and possibly infecting another area or plants, replacement with a new specimen would be advised.

Are you sure that disease is the issue and not pest or nutrient problems?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Question Re: transplanting rose when not healthy....

I am not so sure it's diseased. It sits next to the central heat & air unit where the water run-off from that drains. The people who lived here before us were elderly & probably did not use the AC as much as my hot-natured self! I have pretty much decided that it's just too wet. The area I would be moving it to has no other plants, so that is not an issue. What do u think now? Thanks, Beth

My experience with moving roses that are not dormant is that they stress and die back. They will look dead. Just keep them adequately watered, protect from direct sun after initial replanting. Most of the time the following year they'll spring back, though it may take several years for them to fully recover.

With yours being sickly it may not survive the move, but it's worth a shot. From your description I would agree that it's likely too much water in its current location.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for your help. I think I will wait until the proper time of year for the move. After all, it's only a few more months. Will try to remember to post pics if it survives! Is it ever okay to prune a climbing rose? Some folks I ask say you can prune any rose back in the fall, some say never prune a climber. Which is right? Thanks again, Beth

To be honest, I can't really answer that one, as it's my girlfriend that deals with her roses. I can tell you that she prunes hers nearly year round, even the climbers, but with the climbers she's more taking off the suckers that sprout and go wild and not really touching the climbing part. I believe she does generally try to prune in the dormant period with everything.

I've always pruned in the early spring. In Md.- march 15. Only prune in the early winter if the plant is likely to catch too much wind, but the main pruning is march. I don't know about climbers, but I would assume the same although I don't think they need the same amount of pruning as regular roses.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    ... but the main pruning is march. I don't know about climbers, but I would assume the same although I don't think they need the same amount of pruning as regular roses.
    I would agree, pruning a climber is really only to maintain it's shape and size. They do not grow as fast as regular bush roses.