+ Reply to Thread

Default Move low-hanging pipes in a low-ceiling basement?

My basement is about 6 1/2 feet tall, and there are many pipes that hang as much as a foot below the ceiling. To create more head room, is it practical and feasible to have a contractor reconfigure the pipes so they are snug to the ceiling? I'm trying to avoid digging down or raising the house to take advantage of this valuable space, with more head room. I assume the pipes are for water and gas; the house was built in 1923 and had a moderate renovation in the 1960s.

Default Re: Move low-hanging pipes in a low-ceiling basement?

Is it feasible, probably. Is it practical, in my opinion no. With the pipes right up against the joists you still only have less than 6 feet. By the time you raise the pipes, dig out the floor, make necessary changes to the wall footings, add egress if you are finishing the basement it would be cheaper and more practical to build on above ground. Just my opinion.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you for the reply. This basement is already refinished, including a concrete floor, french drains, sump pump, three-piece bathroom, wet bar and new windows. That's why I don't want to tear everything out in order to dig down. Also, due to the lot's narrow size and zoning set-backs, it would be a challenge to add on or up. This is the reason why I'm considering moving the pipes. I want to re-do the previous homeowner's work, because it was quite sloppy. But it would be meaningless without resolving the pipe issue.

Would I have to bring in two contractors--one for the gas lines, and one for water?

A licensed plumber should be able to handle both.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb