+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down Interior Door Closes on its own

I have a bath room door the always closes on it own what can I do to fix the problem with out taking out the door or haveing a door stop under the door that has to be removed every time? This is a new door that is already cased. I belive the door is out of level but it was installed to match the wall.
    Last edited by Larry; 09-02-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: more information

Default Re: Interior Door Closes on its own

Your door is closing on its own because it is not plumb. I saw a quick fix on another home improvement show where they took out one of the hinge pins and hit it with a hammer to make it just a little bit bent (and then reinserted it). That is supposed to make it a litter harder for the door to open and close. I have never tried this myself. The trick would be to bend the hinge pin just the right amount. If you try it let me know how it works.

What Sherry suggested works. Remove a hinge pin lay it flat on something solid like concrete and hit it in the middle whit a hammer. It only takes a slight bend to work.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks everyone for the advice,

I did bend the hinge pin and that seems to work.

As for the other question the door is a new hollow core and does only close when the door is open. The fan or windows do not seem to affect it. I know the door was out of plumb but I need to match the wall for the trim to work.

Thanks

Larry