+ Reply to Thread

Default Kitchen Cabinets leaking cold air

Hi everybody. My house was built in 1905. The kitchen was added on some time after the original part. The kitchen cabinets are not true cabinets in the sense that they were built on to the walls. In the winter, the cold air just streams in from within the cabinets.I have put the styrafoam sheets against the walls in the lower cabinets but it's the floor of the cabinets from which the cold air is coming. A couple of years ago I did put the regular rolled insulation underneath the floor of the kitchen and it helped some. What can I lay on the floor of the lower cabinets and then hopefully lay a thin sheet of plywood over that to stop the cold air?

Default Re: Kitchen Cabinets leaking cold air

You could lay a piece of styrofoam on the bottom (and backs) of the cabinet bases and cover it with a piece of 1/4" plywood. Trim around the edges with a small piece of quarter round to finish it off.

You could also keep the cabinet doors open a little bit too, to allow the air to warm up inside the cabinets because if they're closed all the time, they'll never have a chance to warm up.

Good Luck.

The cabinets you describe are what we call "built-ins". They're built to the framing and subfloor with little regard to insulation. ma2804 has the best fix for a quick but I'd pull the bottom "kick" plate and put insulation under the cabinets if the area underneath is accessible

I
    Last edited by KKelly; 12-28-2008 at 03:20 PM.
    If I only knew what I was doing!

Thanks for the input. That's what I was thinking. There isn't a lot of room to lay anything on the inside of the cabinets. It will be in the way of the drawers. I was thinking of pulling up the floor of the cabinet and laying insulation in there. But I wasn't sure about a moisture problem. I have some of the styrafoam sheets from when I insulated the basement but I didn't know if that would be enough. Then when I was considering rolled insulation, should I use faced or unfaced? I didn't want to create a moisture problem. Since most homes use the unfaced in the walls, I'm thinking that would be better. But I'm not sure. I don't know if there is a "kickplate". I think these cabinets were are all one large piece with doors added. Let me know if you have any other suggestions on what type of insulation to use. Thanks again

Put insulation under the cabinets and it's done. Good Luck!