+ Reply to Thread

Default Grounded system?

I have a 1970 built rancher. There are 3 large wires going from the meter to the main exterior disconnect. Then 3 large wires to the interior main panel. An electrician tells me that the system is not grounded. The meter is grounded. Does this make sense? Is this dangerous?

Default Re: Grounded system?

Quote Originally Posted by rfplcp View Post
    I have a 1970 built rancher. There are 3 large wires going from the meter to the main exterior disconnect. Then 3 large wires to the interior main panel. An electrician tells me that the system is not grounded. The meter is grounded. Does this make sense? Is this dangerous?
    If your house was built in 1970, then all 120V circuits should be grounded. An ungrounded system has the potential to be dangerous, though under normal operating conditions would do no harm.

If there was a fault, however, say some insulation was damaged and a live conductor came in contact with the metal case of an appliance, then there is big trouble. The metal case, with no grounding, would be live. If you then touch said case, you become the route to ground.

I'd be inclined to listen to your electrician and have him remedy the situation - most likely a ground cable to your cold water pipe. If you do not trust him, have another electrician out for a second opinion.

But do not leave this unchecked - it's like not wearing a seat belt and hoping like hell you don't crash.

Default Re: Grounded system?

Thanks to you both for your replies.

Clearly, I have a problem.

I'll try to get some photos and post them.