+ Reply to Thread

Default Moist basement ceiling

I have a finished basement that is partially under an open front porch. In my basement there is a drop ceiling and above the drop ceiling I found mold under where my front porch would be. I removed the drywall and insulation above the drop ceiling. What can I do from the inside to prevent moisture from entering?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ron

Default Re: Moist basement ceiling

Hi first need to find out how old and what type of roof membrane is under the porch flooring and then consider finding out if its leaking. An repair what ever - proceed with the basement ceiling only after you can rely on no water getting into it..

Default Re: Moist basement ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by Ron18 View Post
    I have a finished basement that is partially under an open front porch. In my basement there is a drop ceiling and above the drop ceiling I found mold under where my front porch would be. I removed the drywall and insulation above the drop ceiling. What can I do from the inside to prevent moisture from entering?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ron
    You haven't mentioned what this porch is made of , concrete or wood.
    You really need to identify what the source of moisture is from, water infiltration or condensation.
    If there are issues from water infiltration this needs to be addressed from the exterior first before trying to insulate and finish the space below.

With porches directly above to the outdoors , the proper methods and materials need to be done in preventing condensation issues.
    In areas such as yours, closed cell spray foam would be my top recommendation.
    The closed cell foam will provide an air tight seal ( which is critical in preventing condensation ) along with preventing heat loss.